• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right to buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to buy

Hi,my sister has lived in the family home for over 40+ years.
    My dad use to pay the rent,when he died,my sister began to pay,they have both worked all there lives.
    dad has been dead for 5 years now,so when she put in to buy the family home,the council says she is not entitled to 75% discount as she has only been the paying tenent for 5 years.My sis has lived there all her life.
    Is this right? only one person can pay rent at one time,so surely my sis should be able to claim the full 75% dicount.
    6 second abs,3 up,3 down Get the perfect abs..
    Tags: None

Re: Right to buy

No,,can't see the entitlement there..If your Dad was named as the tenant then he would have been entitled but not your sister if her name only went on 5 years ago no matter how long she has lived there.http://righttobuy.communities.gov.uk/no/

Comment

Thanks for reply.
      Why is she not entitled to the max discount?
      She had right of succesion to the tenenecy,has proof she has lived there for 40+ years.

My sis will lose her job shortly,she has two extra bedrooms she is liable to pay bedroom tax on.So this is big worry for her.

Comment

Hi Sleepyhead

Have a look at this link (same site as Inca's link above):

http://righttobuy.communities.gov.uk/about/

and do the eligibility test for your sis if you haven't already.

It's also worth ringing the local council for further clarification.

Hope there's a loophole!

Comment

She doesn't get the entitlement,afaik,because she wasn't the tenant named on the 'rent book' for all those years,,her tenure only started 5 years ago and from what I can recall when my Ma in Law died because Dad wasn't on the rent book he automatically got 'right to succession' but couldn't buy it,,,and when he died that was that..we had to give the house back they had lived in 50 odd years,My OH and his brother put in a plea to buy it but it fell on deaf ears.
          As she has the tenancy now,she can bid for smaller places to alleviate the bedroom tax problem. My council are offering 'sweetners' to get folks who have too many rooms to move into smaller places thus releasing larger properties for families.
          Sorry I can't find a way of getting round it,,others on here may be more clued up than me.

Comment

If she is losing her job and going on benefits and is worried about bedroom tax how is she going to afford to buy?

Comment

Thanks for replies,
              Grasping at straws i suppose but somethings have to be challenged,have checked all links but none answer my questions so its off to my fav solicitor for more pro-bono advice .will get back to you when get results.
              @walesman, keeping family home is important,so her son will be one who buys,thanks and merry Christmas to all members/readers at Legalbeagles.

Comment

I'd tread very carefully if she proceeds with this Sleepyhead,,as she herself won't be buying the property her son has absolutely NO rights to use any discount scheme whatsoever.
                The rules and regs of council property sales/tenancys is a complex matter..so yes..you would be well advised to seek proper legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X