• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

private sale vs repossesion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• private sale vs repossesion

Hi

I am in a very strange situation and I'll try and keep it brief.

My private house fell into disrepair early this year and I couldn't afford to fix it. I had no heating or hot water. I had to move out and find somewhere to rent.

I notified my lender, at that time, and asked if I could sell the house privately. They (GE Money) agreed and I found a cash only investor/buyer through an estate agent who was ready to buy immediately.

Unfortunately, the house is in a negative equity situation and there is a large shortfall. I wrote to GE money and asked if they would accept it in full and final settlement. They declined.

My proposal to contribute towards the shortfall was to enter into an IVA. GE Money declined that too, although it hasn't yet been presented at a creditors meeting so the IVA team are still hopeful.

GE Money then changed their mind about the sale and said they wouldn't release me from the charge if there was a shortfall.

GE Money have changed their minds several times about the sale of the house and delayed the process for 6 months. The buyer made an offer in July. This has resulted in 6 months of arrears occurring and I now have to attend a repossession hearing in a couple of weeks.

If the repossession goes ahead then the shortfall is potentially likely to be even greater than if I was to sell it privately. Surely if they repossess and sell it themselves then they will have to take my name off the mortgage anyway?

I am now living in rented accommodation and have absolutely no way of paying the arrears, continuing with the mortgage or clearing the shortfall. I have been in a debt management plan for 3 years - GE are also aware of this.

I'm just posting here to see if anyone else has had anything similar happen and if the Hearing can rule that I am allowed to sell the house privately. The buyer is still interested.

Thank you for listening to me rambling on.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 5th December 2013, 15:02:PM. Reason: removed covert links (not OP's fault)
    Tags: None

Re: private sale vs repossesion

We were told we could sell privately to avoid repossession but only if there was enough to pay all costs and the balance including their charges or they would not allow it.
    they repossesd and we owe a 8k plus shortfall they can spin for

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X