• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New To Forum - Advice required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Forum - Advice required

Hello

I have just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me....

For the past five years I have been battling with a neighbour to get an electric flex removed from the side of my property that they installed without permission from either myself or my Housing Association. (the neighbours is a privately owned home).

The flex runs from their bedroom window, along the outside of my flat and down into one of two garages under my flat (one is for my use, the other is leased to them). The freeholder of their garage is also my Housing Association (my flat/coach-house is shared ownership).

Under the terms of my lease I am liable for repairs to the exterior of my flat but cannot do this with someone else's property trespassing.

My Housing Association say it is up to me to get it removed and they refuse point blank to do anything about it even though this cable is dangerous and badly installed. It seems they are only interested in the rent being paid, not if their property is defaced/damaged!

As the housing association is the freeholder for both garages and my flat are they legally obliged to get it removed?

I have tried to engage solicitors but none of them are interested. I have also put in two formal complaints to the HA and the Housing Ombudsman (who didn't read any of the correspondence I sent them so they wrote back suggesting contacting various organisations which I had already done!)

I am considering either the small claims court or trying to get an Injunction through Injunction-Direct.com - has anybody any experience of this company?

Any advice appreciated.

Re: New To Forum - Advice required

What exactly are the repairs that you need to do?

If you could get a written report from an electrician to the effect that the wiring is dangerous, this would strengthen your position considerably.

On looking at the injunction-direct.com website, in the small print at the bottom, there is the following statement: "Injunction Direct UK is not a firm of solicitors and is therefore not regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority".

A point to bear in mind, perhaps.

Comment

I also ask what repairs?
      If its a cable on your property cut it off getting lawyers involved will only cost money and all for a cable?

Comment

Exactly how is the cable dangerous?

Are there electrons escaping from it, or is anyone in danger from flattened electrons and heavy electricity? (link)

Perhaps the best thing would be to join GEFAFWISP UK (link) and use a report from one of their experts to get this menace removed.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          I also ask what repairs?
          If its a cable on your property cut it off getting lawyers involved will only cost money and all for a cable?
          I have tried that. The neighbours re-attached it again - only with ducting this time! I have had all sorts of threats from them - the police do nothing even though I showed them proof of ownership etc.

The entry point of the ducting is pointing at the sky and water is running along its length to their garage. They have had to have a rubber mat poking out from under their garage below where the cable enters it because water is leaking inside!

As for the repairs, the cable runs across the outside of my flat above the garage doors and below my windows - I am reluctant to get anyone to clean windows/gutters etc because I have heard this cable sparking in the rain (due to the above mentioned)!! The properties exterior is demised to me in the lease for the purposes of maintenance and repair. The lease was created in 1993 when my property was built.

I am also disabled both physically and mentally and no-one in authority (I have tried the HA, local council (planning and building control, my MP, mediation, solicitors, ombudsman etc etc etc) as well as other organisations - they have all just palmed me off onto the next one. Citizens Advice don't wont to know either.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X