• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Noisy neighbours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy neighbours

Hi Guys

I am currently staying with my mother who is a pensioner (I moved in because this situation is really upsetting for her and she has been a little ill). She moved to the current address about 3 and a half years ago. The whole time she has been here, there has been an issue with the neighbours upstairs and noise.

It is generally running around, shouting and banging. The banging tends to happen at night (well it happens all day and night but obviously at night it is a real problem) and seems very deliberate at times. We are not the type to complain about kids playing at reasonable hours (I am one of 7 children, so kids playing is nothing new to us), we have never complained about neighbours before and we have lived in some pretty crazy places over the years) but they can make noise at any time from 6am to 4 am (no exaggeration) and the Mother is the worst culprit. She seems to be up till all hours (as do the children) and will literally sit in her kitchen banging until 3am at times (she even admitted to banging on her table, when I accused her of banging on the floor?! - hopefully a picture is being built here). We have come to the conclusion that she is not quite playing with a full deck.

We have tried speaking to them. We have contacted the housing association and complained. We have recorded events (but gave that up to be honest) In each case they tone it down a little but gradually it all starts again. Recently, I have begun playing music during the day just to drown them out (only on my TV, not a big stereo system) and this has seemed to irritate them further and they seem to have launched an all-out campaign against us.

There is no threat of violence or anything like that, though my mother does get pretty frightened by all the banging and loud noises at all hours. I am getting pretty close to 'doing something about it' (though part of me thinks they almost want this to happen) and I am a little worried what I will do after being woken up at some ridiculous hour (having already been kept up all night and only getting 3 hours sleep - this is very common).

My mother is recovering from Cancer, so you can imagine I am not taking this very well.

The housing association has said she can look for exchanges but this is proving pointless as nothing suitable ever comes up.

I will not be here for too long, so it isn't really a massive problem for me but I do not want my Mother to have to deal with this for the rest of her days.

Basically, I think it would be best if they just found us another house, we don't want to take the neighbours to court or anything like that, we just don't want to deal with the madness any more.

I also feel like the housing association have been a little irresponsible in moving her here. We are pretty sure the previous neighbour also complained about them. (Mainly because she (the mother of the household) told my Mum that he did, when my Mother first moved in but also because it is literally impossible to live with).

Can we do anything to get the hell out of here?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Noisy neighbours

Hi and welcome, it looks as though you have tried to be reasonable about this and have involved the housing association. Your local council will have a dept that deals with this matter also the info
    https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-ne...putes/overview provided on there is ok.
    I still get the feeling that you would like your mum to live somewhere else so as both of you can have peace of mind. I would give your local Social Services a ring see if they can help you find a more suitable place for your mum to live, I know it's not easy in the current housing climate but if your mum is down sizing too (I presume she would be if you move out)then things may be a little easier.

Comment

Hello Sleepless

Another thought - this charity was kind and helpful to us as a family when it was "Age
      Concern" (over an elderly relative who lived alone in London)

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/housing-choices/

Might be worth getting in touch in case they can assist or advise in any way?

Comment

I thought I already replied...

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll look into the suggestions offered.

Comment

As your Mum's landlord, the housing association has a duty to deal with anti-social behaviour by tenants. From what you have said, the housing association may be in breach of their part of the tenancy agreement by not dealing with her noisy neighbours and, thereby, affecting her enjoyment of her tenancy. I would suggest that speaking to a housing advisor at your local CAB might be helpful.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for the reply bluebottle. It was actually a post mentioning something similar that lead me here initially.

We can now add trespassing to the list of issues, as I have noticed the balls that kids have kicked over (which we throw back periodically anyway) seem to have disappeared. Also, basketball right by my bedroom window has commenced. I really suspect they are trying to get a reaction now.

Once again, thanks for all the responses.

Comment

Have to ask how old are the kids?

Comment

If you have a video facility on your phone then record it too, if you can afford it get CCTV.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepless in...London View Post
                  Thanks for the reply bluebottle. It was actually a post mentioning something similar that lead me here initially.

We can now add trespassing to the list of issues, as I have noticed the balls that kids have kicked over (which we throw back periodically anyway) seem to have disappeared. Also, basketball right by my bedroom window has commenced. I really suspect they are trying to get a reaction now.

Once again, thanks for all the responses.
                  From what you are saying, Sleepless, this is anti-social behaviour per se (as it stands). The housing association certainly appears to be in breach of its obligations to your Mum by failing to do anything to address the anti-social behaviour of these people and you really do need to speak to a housing advisor at CAB as to what rights your Mum has in the matter. If she is being forced to move, is the housing association fast-tracking the provision of alternative accommodation of equal, if not, better standard than she is is at present? Will the housing association pay removal costs or provide vehicles and manpower to facilitate a move? It is the very least they can do, given their failure to keep to their obligations under the tenancy agreement.

Comment

"Have to ask how old are the kids?"

There's a bunch (and a nephew) ranging from about 6 - 20 something (not all live there all the time though). TBH the little ones are not really a problem (like I said, we don't dislike kids and hearing them playing isn't so bad) it is the mother and the teenagers that seem to go out of their way to annoy.

"If you have a video facility on your phone then record it too, if you can afford it get CCTV."

I have been wondering about that (the trespass is a new thing though, they have never done that before) and may look into it.

"From what you are saying, Sleepless, this is anti-social behaviour per se (as it stands). The housing association certainly appears to be in breach of its obligations to your Mum by failing to do anything to address the anti-social behaviour of these people and you really do need to speak to a housing advisor at CAB as to what rights your Mum has in the matter."

She actually looked into CAB before I got involved but she says there isn't one that covers our area. I will take another look though.

"If she is being forced to move, is the housing association fast-tracking the provision of alternative accommodation of equal, if not, better standard than she is is at present? Will the housing association pay removal costs or provide vehicles and manpower to facilitate a move? It is the very least they can do, given their failure to keep to their obligations under the tenancy agreement."

They have not been helpful at all. They have simply advised her of the options anyone staying in one of their properties has. Downsize or exchange. She is an old lady who is from the era where they don't really like to cause a fuss. (She now obsessively looks at the same exchange listings over and over again).

I wanted to speak to them (housing association) myself as I thought they had a real obligation to get her somewhere decent. She gave up her family home (and downsized) when moving here. It is starting to make me really angry just typing all this out. The worst thing is, I don't think I have provided a clear picture of how bad they actually are.

If they were the abusive, violent types it would be more apparent (and I could probably deal with that more easily) but it is just constant on-going (and deliberate) annoyance.

They live a very strange life where they seems to sleep during the day and start playing around from 9pm.

Comment

They live a very strange life where they seems to sleep during the day and start playing around from 9pm.
                      Are they on drugs?

Comment

The worst thing is, I don't think I have provided a clear picture of how bad they actually are.

If they were the abusive, violent types it would be more apparent (and I could probably deal with that more easily) but it is just constant on-going (and deliberate) annoyance.
                        If this negative behaviour is deliberately targeted at your mother (and not normal boisterous teenager stuff) would that not be considered harassment which is a criminal offence? Why not invite your Local Neighbourhood Police Officer round for a cup of tea and tell him the story. With any luck he'll give you a Crime Reference Number and pay them a visit afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                          If this negative behaviour is deliberately targeted at your mother (and not normal boisterous teenager stuff) would that not be considered harassment which is a criminal offence? Why not invite your Local Neighbourhood Police Officer round for a cup of tea and tell him the story. With any luck he'll give you a Crime Reference Number and pay them a visit afterwards
                          Isn't there an Ombudsman to deal with social landlords who do not fulfil their obligations? By failing to address anti-social behaviour that is having an adverse effect on the OP's mother's enjoyment of her tenancy, the housing association is in breach of its obligations under the tenancy agreement with the OP's mother. In order to prove harassment, as per the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (as amended) it has to be shown that the harassment is directed at the person alleging harassment. What might be more workable is the Public Order Act 1986 which has provisions to deal with anti-social behaviour, i.e. Causing Alarm, Distress or Harassment.

Having a chat with the local neighbour beat officer is a good idea, but I would suggest it would be better to meet with them away from the OP's mother's house. From what the OP has said, if these neighbours see a police officer going into the OP's mother's home who then goes round to them for a "meaningful chat", there is a risk it could lead to an escalation of the anti-social behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                            With better luck, the upstairs flat will be condemned as a crack den and forcibly closed. :grin:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X