• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Evicted, Homeless & Suicidal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Evicted, Homeless & Suicidal

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    While I continue to learn from your ongoing Latin tutorials :bored: may I say that another way of putting it is that the Council haven't got a bleeding leg to stand on

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
      Around 2004, the Council Housing stock was sold to/taken over by a newly-formed Local Authority Housing Association, and all tenants were asked to sign new tenancy agreements - with free entry into a draw as an incentive to sign.
      In contravention of the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976? (link)

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
        While I continue to learn from your ongoing Latin tutorials :bored: may I say that another way of putting it is that the Council haven't got a bleeding leg to stand on

A bleeding stump might be more apt.

Comment

George,

I am not an expert but have followed your posts from the beginning. I would just like you to know that I am thinking of you and that you have my support.

There are so many kind and helpful people on here who have already made a difference to my life just by being there, as I am sure they have done to yours.

Ruthie

Comment

updates:

1. The removals company brought my possessions yesterday and and of course I took photos of my fridge which has several scratches and damages. I've not opened all the boxes so its difficult to know which items belong where.

2. My clothes especially shirts and suits were all placed in small boxes which means I will incur costs of taking them back to dry cleaners, my beloved Panama hats have to go since they are completely damaged.

3. The removals company refused to re-fix the wardrobes and sofas that they dismantled since the council did not specifically tell them to return the items as they found them. I had to put my bed and few things back by myself.

4. There's no hot water in the flat and yes... my neighbours were surprised as they thought I have moved out to the new flats...when i told them what happened to me they were all shocked and one even say I shouldn't settle for anything less than 50k! Ohh she asked to wash her clothes since her washing machine was broken of course I accepted...lovely girl even gave me a cup of tea...

5. Reported the repairs to the council...guess what? Their system says the flat is UN OCCUPIED so there's nothing they can do (someone forgot to update the system)

6. The Homeless guy I met...well he was the wrong guy and just told me he only deal with homeless people so since morning I've been trying to get hold of my case worker...

7. Will contact my lawyer regarding the compensation list....LG family are welcome to give out any suggestions.

8. My employer has given me time off to settle so.

9. Managed to get hold of my laptop. and I'm told I can use my phone to access internet so you guys should get frequent updates and developments.

10. Since I cant get hold of my Homeless case worker, Can I just alert the other homeless team and leave the B&B or ? I really want to sleep at my flat even though it has some deficiencies

Comment

Originally posted by ruthie59 View Post
              George,

I am not an expert but have followed your posts from the beginning. I would just like you to know that I am thinking of you and that you have my support.

There are so many kind and helpful people on here who have already made a difference to my life just by being there, as I am sure they have done to yours.

Ruthie
              Thanks Ruthie,

I'm not sure how I would have survived if not LG.

I'm forever grateful for LG. Once all is done I will definitely stick around and support others that perhaps have it worse than me.

xxx

Comment

Originally posted by George Smiley View Post
                Thanks Ruthie,

I'm not sure how I would have survived if not LG.

I'm forever grateful for LG.
                Don't worry about changing it, but I think you mean LB! :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by George Smiley View Post
                  ...4. There's no hot water in the flat and yes... my neighbours were surprised as they thought I have moved out to the new flats...when i told them what happened to me they were all shocked and one even say I shouldn't settle for anything less than 50k! Ohh she asked to wash her clothes since her washing machine was broken of course I accepted...lovely girl even gave me a cup of tea...
                  Dear George - do PLEASE - enjoy that piece of Human Nature that you have so wonderfully described here. For them - and for you - it is a two-way thing.

I can almost feel the warmth of the sunrise on your skin right now.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                    Don't worry about changing it, but I think you mean LB! :beagle:
                    LB....that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
                      Dear George - do PLEASE - enjoy that piece of Human Nature that you have so wonderfully described here. For them - and for you - it is a two-way thing.

I can almost feel the warmth of the sunrise on your skin right now.
                      I concur with your post above...so strange when I went back yesterday and lying there thinking of how this drama will end (it ever will) considering I'm now viewed as their enemy number 1

I hope this also shall pass...

Comment

It will pass, George. You have made so many friends who are all here for you.

Comment

This is becoming a frightening reality of welfare reform and bedroom tax. I am currently in the process of dealing with an issue with a housing associations whose actions led to tragic consequences in the past which is not unlike the predicament of George. The main problem that I have come across is just plain inexcusable ineptness at management level with a sickening problem of outright deception and prevalence for giving misleading information. Genesis Housing association was initially unable to account for £1200 of payments which they claimed was the responsibility of the tenant to prove it was paid. This was despite the fact that the payments were made using the payment card they provided. They claimed it was impossible to trace as the funds, if paid, would be in a suspense account and they could not tell the origin. Somehow after directly contacting the board they appeared after intensive searching. So I contacted the provider myself and was given a list of all the payments within a couple of hours.

That's not all, there was an overpayment of HB at the previous address that was added to the account which arose from a mistake emanating from either the HB office or Genesis. A clawback was made without notifying the tenant and the arrears shot up to over £3k with no notification other than a statement that was presented to me. I want to find out where the mistake cam from and put it to Genesis that the indicators point to them. Genesis claim that they never had contact with any HB offices nor does any correspondence exist between them. They have also reiterated this in response to an SAR which specifically highlighted this. Incredulous and unbelievable because I know these documents exist.

In relation to the SAR, they managed to send me information relation to other parties not involved in the dispute including a previous tenant's and her childrens' DOBs. How do you deal with a multi billion pound housing association who have around 40k residents who prefer to lie rather than be truthful, especially in matters that could easily spiral out of control and has led to tragic consequences.

I have dug and found what I find a disturbing work ethic and perverse nepotistic culture in the lower management ranks. I have also found some disturbing parallels with many a failed and failing HA.

In the meantime I have informed them that the tenant will continue to pay their rent plus 1/180th of their arrears per week until further notice and they have neither agreed nor disagreed with this and they wonder why people get stressed. They makes mistakes and put it on the tenant to prove them, the mismanage renta accounts and it stays on record and an errant account because they make no notes unless the proverbial hits the fan.

What is worse is that this lot issued £250 million in bonds at near on 6%, the same rate as near bankrupt Portugal!! Indicative of a financial crisis or what!

So how does prove? That the problems of rent arrears are not entirely the fault of the tenant and a vast majority of mistakes are arising from retrospective clawbacks and account adjustments through pure a simple poor accounting combined with the government's irresponsible move on bedroom tax and welfare reform. How many people have to be pushed over the edge before the demonising wears thin and excuses fail. The case of George is becoming far too common and he needs an advocate to help him. What I have discovered so far points to severe administrative mistakes and what he needs is someone who can fight his corner for him and who has the time to be able to do it effectively. If someone digs deep enough they will find a plethora of mistakes which can be used to form a case of redress against the landlord. The trouble is George has been found at fault by the courts because of what was presented to them by the landlord. This is the place to start and this is were the loose thread needs to be found

I will start to write to the select committees for Communities and Local Government, Public Accounts and Work and Pensions should be bombarded along with various current affairs programmers and press. In relation to this issue and it is a building concern. Radio 4's File on 4 has just sent out a transmission relating to the issues of the growing problems in the social housing sector. What they discuss is the tip of the iceberg and indicates are far bigger problem on the horizon.

George you are not alone and you have my deepest sympathy and my disgust at your LA landlord. It sounds perverse but if you commit suicide you will be doing them a favour. You need to divert that fire of determination onto them and highlight their mistakes and that of the present and deadly policies of the government.

In the meantime, if any of you wish to contact the CLG select committee, here are their details as of last week and feel free to contact them. I suggest that George does the same if he is able. Only when they are hit by enough concerned or subjugated parties will they hopefully listen

The main contact point, current line-up and staffing of the CLG select committee are

Communities and Local Government Committee
                          7 Millbank
                          House of Commons
                          London
                          SW1P 3JA
                          Telephone: 020 7219 4972/1353
                          Email: clgcom@parliament.uk

Select Committee Members

Mr Clive Betts
                          Communities and Local Government Committee (Current Chair from July 2010)
                          Finance and Services Committee
                          Liaison Committee (Commons)
                          Panel of Chairs

Constituency
                          Sheffield South East

Party
                          Labour

Address as
                          Mr Betts

Contact details

Constituency
                          First Floor, Barkers Pool House, Burgess Street, Sheffield, S1 2HF
                          Tel: 0114 275 7788
                          Parliamentary
                          House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
                          Tel: 020 7219 5114
                          Fax: 020 7219 2289
                          clive.betts.mp@parliament.uk

Web & Social media
                          www.clivebetts.com
                          Twitter @clivebettsmp

Bob Blackman
                          Communities and Local Government Committee Backbench Business Committee

Constituency
                          Harrow East

Party
                          Conservative

Address as
                          Bob Blackman

Contact details

Parliamentary
                          Tel: 020 7219 7082
                          Fax: 020 7219 2336
                          bob.blackman.mp@parliament.uk

Constituency
                          209 Headstone Lane, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6ND
                          Tel: 0208 421 3323
                          Web & Social media
                          Website www.bobblackmanmp.com
                          Twitter @bobblackmanmp

Simon Danczuk

Constituency
                          Rochdale

Party
                          Labour

Address as
                          Simon Danczuk

Contact details

Constituency
                          26 St Mary's Gate, Rochdale, OL16 1DZ
                          Tel: 01706 750135
                          Parliamentary
                          Tel: 020 7219 3000
                          simon.danczuk.mp@parliament.uk

Web & Social media
                          Website www.simondanczuk.com
                          Twitter @simondanczuk
                          Facebook facebook.com/simondanczuk

Mrs Mary Glindon
                          Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee

Constituency
                          North Tyneside

Party
                          Labour

Address as
                          Mrs Glindon

Contact details

Constituency
                          Suites 1 & 2, Salisbury House, 2 Buddle Street, Wallsend, NE28 6EH
                          Tel: 0191 234 2493
                          Parliamentary
                          Fax: 020 7219 3272
                          mary.glindon.mp@parliament.uk

Web & Social media
                          Website www.maryglindonmp.co.uk

David Heyes
                          Public Administration Committee

Constituency
                          Ashton-under-Lyne

Party
                          Labour

Address as
                          David Heyes

Contact details

Constituency
                          4 St Michael's Court, St Michael's Square, Stamford Street, Ashton-Under-Lyne, OL6 6XN
                          Tel: 0161 331 9307
                          Parliamentary
                          Tel: 020 7219 8129
                          Fax: 020 7219 1738
                          heyesd@parliament.uk

James Morris

Constituency
                          Halesowen and Rowley Regis

Party
                          Conservative

Address as
                          James Morris

Contact details

Parliamentary
                          Tel: 020 7219 8715
                          Fax: 020 7219 1429
                          james.morris.mp@parliament.uk

Constituency
                          Trinity Point, New Road, Halesowen, B63 3HY
                          Tel: 0121 550 6777
                          lisa.townsend@parliament.uk

Web & Social media
                          Website www.jamesmorrismp.com
                          Twitter @jamesmorrismp

Mark Pawsey

Constituency
                          Rugby

Party
                          Conservative

Address as
                          Mark Pawsey

Contact details

Parliamentary
                          Tel: 020 7219 7136
                          mark.pawsey.mp@parliament.uk

Constituency
                          Albert Buildings, 2 Castle Mews, Rugby, CV21 2XL
                          Tel: 01788 579499
                          Web & Social media
                          Website www.markpawsey.org.uk
                          Twitter @markpawsey

John Pugh
                          Public Accounts Commission

Constituency
                          Southport

Party
                          Liberal Democrat

Address as
                          John Pugh

Contact details

Parliamentary
                          Tel: 020 7219 8318
                          Fax: 020 7219 1794
                          pughj@parliament.uk

Constituency
                          35 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
                          Tel: 01704 533555
                          Fax: 01704 884160
                          pughjo@parliament.uk

Web & Social media
                          Website www.johnpughmp.com
                          Twitter @johnpughmp

Andy Sawford
                          Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government) Communities and Local Government Committee

Constituency
                          Corby

Party
                          Labour (Co-op)

Address as
                          Andy Sawford

Contact details

Parliamentary
                          Tel: 020 7219 6134
                          andy.sawford.mp@parliament.uk

Constituency
                          Grosvenor House, George Street, Corby, NN17 1QB
                          Tel: 01536 264 194
                          Web & Social media
                          Twitter @andysawfordmp
                          Website andysawford.wordpress.com

John Stevenson

Constituency
                          Carlisle

Party
                          Conservative

Address as
                          John Stevenson

Contact details

Constituency
                          2 Currie Street, Carlisle, CA1 1HH
                          Tel: 01228 550684
                          office@johnstevensonmp.co.uk

Parliamentary
                          john.stevenson.mp@parliament.uk

Web & Social media
                          Website www.johnstevensonmp.co.uk
                          Twitter @johnstevensonmp

Heather Wheeler
                          Standards Committee
                          Privileges Committee

Constituency
                          South Derbyshire

Party
                          Conservative

Address as
                          Mrs Heather Wheeler

Conservative logo
                          Contact details

Constituency
                          SDCA, The Nissen Hut, Church Street, Swadlincote, DE11 8LF
                          Tel: 01283 225365
                          Parliamentary
                          Tel: 020 7219 1184
                          heather.wheeler.mp@parliament.uk

Web & Social media
                          Website www.heatherwheeler.org.uk
                          Twitter @heatherwheeler

Committee support staff contact details

Glenn McKee - Committee Clerk
                          Telephone: 020 7219 3927
                          Email: mckeeg@parliament.uk

Sarah Coe- Second Clerk
                          Telephone: 020 7219 3290
                          Email: coes@parliament.uk

Stephen Habberley - Inquiry Manager
                          Telephone: 020 7219 1342
                          Email: habberleys@parliament.uk

Kevin Maddison - Committee Specialist
                          Telephone: 020 7219 6755
                          Email: maddisonk@parliament.uk

Emma McIntosh - Senior Committee Assistant
                          Telephone: 020 7219 4972
                          Email: mcintoshe@parliament.uk

Mandy Sullivan - Committee Assistant
                          Telephone: 020 7219 1353
                          Email: sullivanm@parliament.uk

Press and publicity contact details
                          David Foster - Media Officer
                          Telephone: 020 7219 7556/Mob: 07917 488 729
                          Email: fosterda@parliament.uk
                          I am not a legal professional

I will only comment and give advice in situations which I have experience that has been gained over the years in pre legal negotiation and redress. At the end of the day when there is a legal situation of life changing or serious consequence, always and I mean always seek professional advice from a solicitor.

Comment

don't want to bump up an oldish thread,but has there been any update from George?

i would be taking them to the cleaners for what they have done.

Comment

Originally posted by jmxrocks12 View Post
                              i would be taking them to the cleaners for what they have done.
                              To the cleaners, eh?

A laundry might be better, as one could then put them through the wringer.

Comment

Hello Fam,

I have lots of updates.

But I should start with where I left off last time.

THE FLAT:

1. They brought my items and some are not even working while others are damages and of course some are lost.

2. They refused to return the items as they found them so I had to get other people to help in re-arranging them

3. The council has not responded to my letter in regards to my tenancy agreement issues.

4. The council has responded to my local MP (lying to her again) that the matter has been resolved and done with while truth is the opposite.

5. They're still demanding rent of another £900 this is the period of which I was evicted and homeless (the rents department are saying all they want is their money while housing department are not responding)

THE PAYOUT:

1. My lawyers advised that I should not claim compensation at the same time as legals costs. So we decided to claim legal costs first, and once the council pays out then we shall go for compensation.

2. The council lawyers disputed the figures put in my lawyers and among other things they claim there was no need to put a barrister for my case and the hours claimed by my lawyers are way too much.

3. Eventually the council paid out (£5,000) but that's where the problem now lies which will be the next part of my problem as i ended up with £10...yes thats TEN pounds!

THE LAWYER:

Initially I borrowed money from my employer in agreement that I shall return the amount once the council pays up. so I paid up the

court fees: £80
                                solicitors office £150
                                the solicitor £500
                                the barrister £500
                                Total: 1,230

for some reason the solicitor claimed more than that figure and I have the evidence that the council paid the solicitor £5000 after claiming that the barrister £3,300 so in the final payout the solicitor says that they had to deduct that figure. Before this information came to my knowledge my solicitor claimed that she only got paid £3000...

so eventually when my solicitor got the cheque, she banked it and only paid me 1220 of which I had to pay back to my employer

now as for the compensation claim, which will be in excess of £35,000 she wants to get 25% of that and I'm not sure if thats the standard charge or what but I'm willing to change solicitors for the compensation claim.

HEALTH:

I'm still attending the mental health appointments and I've not fully recovered as I'm still having my anxieties and panic attacks. I'm still scared of the council considering what they did to me. And this has affected my work and well being. But I'm slowly trying to live the day and carry on even though its diffucult but I still need to move on .

Kindly feel free to advise and send any questions.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X