• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour Dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour Dispute

My next door neighbour is a single lady in her 60's. I am on the other half of the semi detached property. Her brother in law lives next door to her. This brother in law has put a ridge roof ladder on her roof a few feet from where my roof begins. It has been there since 5th September this year. It is not secured and in a high wind it is banging on the roof. He has told the police it is not dangerous and he is removing moss from the roof for his sister in law. No work has been done at all since the ladder first appeared, and the ladder is still there, still not secured and rattling in the wind. During October we twice had gusts in excess of 50 mph on two occasions. He is adamant he will not remove it. A Sky TV installation engineer told me to phone the police as he considered it unsafe and dangerous, it could go at any minute. Our painter, who was painting the front of our property, also said it was unsafe. Does it require Planning Permission because it has been there longer than 28 days?

There is also another ladder placed against our flat roof extension at the rear of our property, which our neighbour says is a party wall, but she does not have any deeds. I have checked the Land Registry and there does not appear to be any deeds listed. When she is angry she goes and continually bangs this ladder against our extension. This ladder is compromising our lifestyle in as much as she goes out and leaves it up against the property. It is also left up at night. She has an open garden to the front of her property so we feel totally insecure as we have open countryside to our rear and live in a small village.

We went out for Sunday Lunch yesterday, and upon returning we find we have a nice thick red line of paint on our cream painted rendering from the roof guttering down to the flat roof. It is about twelve inches into our side of the property. Along the flat roof there is another red line painted. She claims we have painted over her boundary line. Our line is directly below, and in line with our roof tiles which were all replaced about twenty or twentyfive years ago. Also directly in line with our gutters and where her gutters joins ours. The rendering was last painted 15 years ago. We have recently painted the front rendering, but not the back. The roof tiles were replaced before I owned the house.

Her brother in law sits on top of her flat roof looking and watching me in the garden when I am unaware he is there. Two chairs and a table have been placed there along with other paraphernalia. Once I came into the bedroom after having had a shower to be confronted with him climbing up the ladder against our extension from her garden onto our flat roof. I now find I have no privacy.

I am totally confused by this obsessive behaviour and harassment. The Police say it is a civil matter even though my property has been defaced with this ugly red line and I am subjecterd to all these ladders.

Please, please can somebody help tell me if all these actions are legal?

Totally distraught.

Twilley
    Last edited by TwilleyTwineToes; 7th November 2011, 14:29:PM. Reason: spelling, typo
    Tags: None

Re: Neighbour Dispute

Is this link of any help to you?

Neighbour disputes

Comment

Sounds awful, my deepest sympathy for you and your family. Until you've had a nightmare neighbour, people just don't understand how mentally draining it can be.

Have you checked your local authority website? Some have dedicated neighbour dispute teams (not enough unfortunately)

Comment

I really didn't find this advice helpful.

This man is not the neighbour, but my neighbour’s sister in law. As for putting up net curtains, I live with open countryside.

The ridge roof ladder is not secured. It can blow off and damage my solar units. The house is 180 years old. Our roof has been treated about 25 years ago, for rot and infestation, and tiles replaced. Next door has had no work done on it at all. In fact there is no access to the loft in that side of the property.

Of course it is criminal damage if the paint is applied to my side of the property !

When somebody is sat on the neighbouring flat roof (that doesd not live there) and which does not have an access from the house, just watching you when you are in the privacy of your own garden. Draw your own conclusions. No work had taken place at all, and this behaviour is usually when my neighbour is not there.

The Police powers these days are restricted, we all know that. But we can't all afford solicitors fees. I have my deeds and I know what is mine. My neighbour's deeds are not even registered with the Land Registry. If she has a problem witgh the boundaries it is for her to prove it through solicitors, not to get her brother in law to paint bright red paint on ewhat I know is my property.

'Traipsing over a roof" I am being harassed with aggressive behaviour and rude gesticulations by a man that does not even live next door to me. On Monday he climbed a tall tree in my neighbour’s garden singing and shouting attempting to draw my attention. He then climbed on to the neighbours flat roof (who incidentally was out) banged the roof ladder several times, waved at me, made rude gesticulations in the region of his genitals, climbed down the ladder returning it to my extension wall after banging it several times. All this because he had been at the next village pub drinking at lunch time. And of course driving home.

The Police were informed, but my cries for help are being ignored.

This man is known to the Police and has just received a caution for assault, (because he has no previous convictions) after breaking into a family’s home and hitting the man about the face. I now do not feel same in my own home.

Comment

A complaint to the Chief Constable usually brings fairly swift results. You'll find his/her details on-line and can e-mail them direct. I've used this method a few times, each time getting the outcome I wanted in the first place having been forced into wasting a senior officers time asking them to do what should have been done in the first instance.

Comment

Also, I would think as he has recently been cautioned you could use this in your complaint.
            Is no longer here

Comment

Just chipping in with a true layman's thoughts, if I may, TTT. I've had a taste of neighbours - and landlords - from Hell. But you are getting a full plateful of this apparently incestuous pair !!!

Is this any use ? We often get the local Police/Fire Service/Ambo Guys doing a big PR push, where they advertise on local radio and papers, and offer to come and inspect our properties and give advice. All good PR stuff, innit ? They comment on stuff like fire risks - and ladders in full view for burglers to use.

So - can you maybe ask your local paper/radio station to 'collude' with such a 'survey' on your property - and, of course, comment on risks from adjoining properties ? All in the interests of the community, of course....and assisting the local community services in their valiant battle against those who threaten the community.

Just a thought, though.

Comment

[quote=CleverClogs;234944]

Your name is most apt to your replies which seem to be giving you some sort of sarcastic pleasure.

Clever Clogs said : I did not suppose it was; from what I can recall of such devices, they have a hook or batten at the top which supports it from the top, whilst the rest of the ladder is supported only by the roof.

Without seeing a picture, I really cannot imagine how that might happen. If it did, though, your neighbour would be liable for the damage caused.

The ladder has been declared dangerous by two people that work with these ladders for a living. You I suggest don't, therefore you can't pass judgement.

CleverClogs said : Unless you are at least 180 years old, you cannot know that for certain; for all you know, it might have been done just before you moved in..

Again your reply is flippant. I have all the papers relating to work done on this property. I know exactly what work has been done and when.

CleverClogs said: As loft access is usually from the inside of a property, one might wonder how you know they are unable to access their loft or roof space.

Another flippant reply ! I was told by my neighbour, that she has no access.

CleverClogsd said : Writing to the Chief Plod might get some action taken, but I rather doubt that they'll do much.

Writing to the Chief Constable is a positive thought and I thank the person that first mentioned it.

CleverClogs said : The matter of the gesticulations is new - you did not mention them earlier. If he had been singing something written by the late Michael Jackson, crotch-grabbing and/or other rude gesticulations might have been part of his act.

Another sarcastic reply which is of no help at all..

CleverClogs said : Might one know what was your response?

I am not going to give you that pleasure, besides it is not nesessary for you to know !

I came here for help. Most people have offered that and I am grateful. If I was to substantiate everything I have mentioned this thread would be far too long. CleverClogs sarcastic replies are not at all helpful and make me appear an idiot. I would really rather you stayed away from replying I am not here for your entertainment.

Thanks for ther advice from other people.

There is now a warrant out for this man's arrest and he has done a runner. The Police are asking for help as to his whereabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilleyTwineToes View Post
                  ...There is now a warrant out for this man's arrest and he has done a runner. The Police are asking for help as to his whereabouts.
                  Oi....look 'ere, you two. Pack it in - there's no need to issue a warrant for CleverClogs' arrest !!!
                  Seriously, guys, we are all different in our approaches. I have often taken on the dubious pleasure of acting as 'Devil's Advocate.' If/when we need to take a matter before the Court, we will come up against a guy/gal who is paid to be our professional sworn enemy. If we cannot argue our case before the Court, whilst being 'harangued' by such learnéd opposition, then we will lose.

Sure - this guy may get up your schnozzle - but he seems to know a lot more than jerks like me. Take what he offers (yep - there's no fee !!!) Give the fecker two fingers for being sarky, by all means. But he IS what you will come up against if you are seriously needing help. It is good that we can all speak our minds, here, I feel.

The first post I ever made in one of these forums was greeted by a similarly irascible guy as CC. One "Glenn_UK" - as I recall. He made me feel one inch tall - and I "got" the whole picture from then on...!!!

Comment

I do feel I should add this: it is rather unpleasant to have one's neighbour acting as this one seems to have done. Even if the roof ladder could not fall down one's side of the roof, it is likely to make a lot of noise in windy weather, so it should be tied down if not removed when work is not actually being carried out. Likewise, ladders propped up against a house are a possible security threat, so they should be chained and securely padlocked to an iron ring, or locked away in a garage.

Neighbour disputes are better avoided wherever possible, even if that requires one to overlook several real or imagined slights. The alternative, to get involved in costly litigation, will ultimately benefit nobody except the solicitors.

Comment

The police will be befuddled until you do their job for them.

If your neighbours brother in law is stupid enough to act in the way he is then catch him in the act and build up a case of harrassment.

Do you have a video camera you can record his lewd behaviour on? Can you record the ladder blowing in the wind and the noise it makes etc.

Unfortunately to make any headway on this you are going to have to produce a history against your neighbour before you can do much else.

Best

Crispy

Comment

Hi Twilley Twine

Just a thought, most solicitors will give you a free hours consultation. And of course there's always CAB. Although personally speaking I'd have removed the ladder and hidden it whilst the old rat-bag was out.

Comment

hi
                          my daughter brought a property in 2017, in 2020 June, her neighbour via insurance send her documents and a Surveyors report documenting damaged caused to their property dated 2016 before her purchase. Clearly she is disputing any liability, Can the neighbour and his insurers rely on the report and why wasn't a claim made 4 years ago with the owner of the then property

Can anyone advise plz, she has instructed solicitors via her own insurers but they are asking her to have a surveyor carried out at her own expense when she has no damage to her property and there is no signs of her property causing the alleged damage

Comment

Tony57 welcome, but please start your own thread.
                            Posting on someone else's 9 year old thread is sure to get you ignored!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X