• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rented Prop deposits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rented Prop deposits

Hey guys,

Just after a little info if possible, Just moved home in the same town. And sort of left half way through a month, Unfortunatley a few days before I wasdue to move one of my parents passed away, so had little time to sort things, I moved as best as possible taking the main essentials and leaving about 3 boxes behind and all my tools probably worth in excess of 300-400£ - I phoned the landlord who said i can't get them because they have changed the locks and I wont be getting my deposit back becuase I owe apparently 2 weeks pay, bearing in mind this is about a £650 deposit. Cleaning wasn't 100% BUT saying that my friend lives next door who has now moved with me and we can see clearly they have literally ripped the house to pieces. let alone doing some of the work they said they woukd be doing while I was living there.
    So they have my tools and my deposit I was wondering what you guys would do next, if i owe rent then thats that, but If i don't which I am assuming since they have never said i do then they should not be taking all this money back.

I have anotgher friend that let from the same company and he has had to wait a year to get his back, and that onyl becuase his fathers solicitors wrote a letter to them!!

Any advice would be great stuff

OPbC

:clgblinkie171:
    ~Never has PPI refunds been owed to so many...by so few~
    Tags: None

Re: Rented Prop deposits

Ok there are new laws (well a couple of years old now i guess) about Deposits and Landlords, specifically to stop this kind of behaviour.

Cant remember the specifics will have to look (or you could too) but i think they have to be registered and "lodge" the deposits with a government scheme.

You could send them a "letter before action" stating that you give them 7 days to respond and saying that you request your boxes and the deposit back. If you owe rent (how did you pay this) they would be required to prove this in court but if you did, you could "offset" this against the deposit and the balance be paid to you.

Its always worth remembering that a lot of Landlords are "dodgy" when it comes to deposits, i would personally cancel my rent payment a month(s) before to ensure im never out of pocket.

Comment

Luckily I had to go in and pay manually, So its very possible that I do owe that 2 weeks and infact i do believe at the begnining of the year I missed one payment while i was on hliday and they never called for that back, however, I would pay that happily if they asked, but as above for what they said it was for. and wouldn't even try and help just they have changed the locks and thats it no deposit back lol!!!

I shall take that advice and write a letter to them and ask for it, I could understand like £150 or something for the bit of cleaning they needed, I also grassed their mudd patcha t the front of the house becuase it was a mess, I didn't charge them for that haha!

Thanks Paul if theres any thing else you can think of would much appreciate it!!

OPbC

Comment

http://www.tenancyagreementservice.c...on-schemes.htm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...cies/index.htm

Comment

I couldn't still, find anyone to write to, its all well writing to the letting agency but they will jsut waste my time, and say exactly what they already have, although I guess it would be worth in their way "SAR" them, find out where exactly these costs have gone?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X