• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Threatened with repossession - No arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Threatened with repossession - No arrears

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice so far.

Just to add some more information. From memory, I think the initial permission to let was for a period of 6 months / a year. (It wasn't a BTL mortgage as when we took out the mortgage we had no intention of letting the property). I think we were supposed to write to Direct Line asking permission to renew the agreement at the end of each tenancy, but with a new job and the absence of reminders from Direct Line this was something that just got overlooked.

We have been trying to obtain BTL mortgages, and we both have clear credit histories, so I will investigate Birmingham Midshires - Thank you for the tip.

Comment

My mortgage is with BM and have always found them very easy to deal with and accomodating (obviously with things that ake them money lol), but for subprime they are the better ones. They're a part of Halifax. They're not doing self cert mortgages at the moment (ex tried to add a bit onto the mortgage and being self cert they wouldnt consider it) though are constantly reviewing that position(apparently) so being self employed you could still hit that wall, but still worth a shot as their rates arent too bad.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I was going to suggest trying RBS as they are the owners of Direct Line, however, on checking their buy to let mortgages it does state that you must be a UK resident.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Just looked at Birmingham Midshires T&C's and they too state that you need to be a UK Resident - but I will phone them tomorrow to see if there is any leeway in respect of this requirement.

Comment

Hi flyingfish,
            Here is a link to a mortgage co that lend to non UK residents, worth a shot imo.
            Useful links for expatriates wishing to uy UK properties

Comment

Thanks Enaid - E-mailed enquiry to the site, and just waiting to hear back from them.

I phoned Direct Line to ask for the correct address to send the SAR to. The advisor asked, why do you want that information, to which I replied that I was legally entitled to a copy of the information held on file about the mortgage. He replied by saying that he could give me any information that I required in respect of the mortgage over the phone. I said that I just simply wanted the correct address to send the SAR to, and that most companies had a data protection department, and that was the address that I needed.

He than said, that there was indeed a data protection department but that address wold only be applicable if my mortgage had been taken out after the 1st of November 2004. As my mortgage had been taken out prior to this date my mortgage wasn't covered by the FSA regulations, and I should just send my SAR request to the address on the top of my mortgage statement.

Can anyone explain to me the significance of his last comment - as I really didn't understand it!

Comment

Originally posted by 007flyingfish View Post
                Thanks Enaid - E-mailed enquiry to the site, and just waiting to hear back from them.

I phoned Direct Line to ask for the correct address to send the SAR to. The advisor asked, why do you want that information, to which I replied that I was legally entitled to a copy of the information held on file about the mortgage. He replied by saying that he could give me any information that I required in respect of the mortgage over the phone. I said that I just simply wanted the correct address to send the SAR to, and that most companies had a data protection department, and that was the address that I needed.

He than said, that there was indeed a data protection department but that address wold only be applicable if my mortgage had been taken out after the 1st of November 2004. As my mortgage had been taken out prior to this date my mortgage wasn't covered by the FSA regulations, and I should just send my SAR request to the address on the top of my mortgage statement.

Can anyone explain to me the significance of his last comment - as I really didn't understand it!
                The term BS comes to mind. Data Protection Act covers ALL DATA held by the company about you. I would say the Direct Line person has no idea what they are talking about.

Comment

Oh just had a look at their site there are two different numbers for motrgages taken out before and after that date.
                  Also never knew this Mortgages provided by The Royal Bank of Scotland plc trading as Direct Line.

Comment

However, enaid, that is not relevant to sending a SAR(the telephone numbers, I mean). The RBS Group thing is of course.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                      Oh just had a look at their site there are two different numbers for motrgages taken out before and after that date.
                      Also never knew this Mortgages provided by The Royal Bank of Scotland plc trading as Direct Line.
                      Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
                      However, enaid, that is not relevant to sending a SAR(the telephone numbers, I mean). The RBS Group thing is of course.

Yes I understand that Nattie, but maybe flyingfish would get the correct address if he rang the appropriate number. They seem to be two different customer service debts.

Comment

If you would like a copy of the information we hold about you, please write to: The Data Protection Officer, Regulatory Risk Department, Churchill Court, Westmoreland Road, Bromley BR1 1DP

Direct Line - About us

Looked at that but thought it was just insurance, cheers pk

Comment

Thanks to everyone so far for their advice.

I have now received the documents back in respect of the SAR. The letter I received from Direct Line said, "We must advise that this information has been subject to the removal of third party data for the reasons of confidentiality".

As this is a joint mortgage does it mean that any information relating to my partner has been removed?

The whole purpose of the SAR was to gain a copy of the letter that Direct Line initially sent to me / us, confirming that we could let the property. (As an aside none of the letters between myself and Direct Line were enclosed as part of the pack of documents that were sent to me in response to the SAR).

The only reference I can find in respect of the initial request to let is in the account records they have supplied for the 21st of April 2004:-

"Letter recvd from custs advising that MR XXX has been offered a job abroad with his employers. Agreed to let in principle & sent letter / tenancy conditions appendix. Agreed review period 1 year"

The copy of the letter / tenancy conditions was not supplied in response to the SAR.

My questions are:-

1) What type of data is likely to have been removed in order to warrant the comment ""We must advise that this information has been subject to the removal of third party data for the reasons of confidentiality"

2) Should I write back to them and ask for a copy of the letter mentioned above?

3) As they agreed to a review period of 1 year, and didn't review the agreement, can I legally argue that I thought the arrangement was permanent as I didn't hear anything from the Lenders for 5 years?

In response to other comments in this thread we have now unsuccessfully applied twice for a re-mortgage for GBP 21,000 but as my partner is unemployed, no one will advance the money based solely on my income, and they will not include the income from the flat. There is still a possibility that we can borrow the remaining amount of the mortgage from friends of the family. Do you think there is any merit in asking Direct Line if they would accept GBP 15,000 in full and final settlement of the mortgage now?

Any advice would most appreciated.

Comment

1) What type of data is likely to have been removed in order to warrant the comment ""We must advise that this information has been subject to the removal of third party data for the reasons of confidentiality"

That'll be the names and anything that identifies an employee.

2) Should I write back to them and ask for a copy of the letter mentioned above?

No harm in doing so.

3) As they agreed to a review period of 1 year, and didn't review the agreement, can I legally argue that I thought the arrangement was permanent as I didn't hear anything from the Lenders for 5 years?

Not really - their review may just be an internal process that doesn't involve contacting you.

In response to other comments in this thread we have now unsuccessfully applied twice for a re-mortgage for GBP 21,000 but as my partner is unemployed, no one will advance the money based solely on my income, and they will not include the income from the flat. There is still a possibility that we can borrow the remaining amount of the mortgage from friends of the family. Do you think there is any merit in asking Direct Line if they would accept GBP 15,000 in full and final settlement of the mortgage now?

Any advice would most appreciated.
                            I doubt very much if they will accept a full and final when there is equity in the property.

Comment

Thanks Emerald.

I understand your comments in respect of the full and final - but what I can't understand is why Direct Line are so keen to end the current letting arrangement when we have been model customers?

Any other views on my previous post would also be very welcome.

Comment

Model customers don't make them any money...

Tom
                                I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
                                Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X