• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Asbestos - Neighbour responsibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos - Neighbour responsibility

The property abutting our exterior courtyard has recently had it's roof replaced. The adjacent property is one level below us, so the roof is at head height. The roof was made of corrugated cement asbestos sheets. The contractor removed them without taking any of the precautions mandated (I think) by the Health and Safety Executive. Although removing such material is not a 'licensed' procedure, safety precautions must be followed as it is a hazardous material.

The contractor had asked permission to gain access to one side of the roof via our courtyard, to which we agreed. He brought down the sheets and stacked them on our property. They should have been double bagged but were not. The bolts were removed with a disc cutter, through the sheets themselves, producing clouds of dust. The operatives wore no PPE, no masks and no hazmat outerwear. Debris was scattered over the courtyard.

The contractor was challenged and the work was stopped. He was in a state of high agitation; a family member had alerted me previously to the requirements for doing this work correctly and when challenged, the contractor acknowledged that none had been followed. He offered to do free work on our house as soon as I mentioned that our concerns might be best addressed by the Environmental Health dept at the local council.

Although an approach to the authorities was an option, I took the view that the matter could be most swiftly settled privately by arranging an asbestos survey and following through with any recommendations the surveyor might make.

The survey was quickly completed at a cost of £650 including a lab report which confirmed the material as Chrysotile asbestos, a known carcinogen by inhalation. The surveyor recommended an asbestos decontamination.

The contractor reimbursed me for the outlay for the survey but has ignored requests to settle the cost of the decontamination, a further £730

I have approached the property owner, who instructed the contractor, but they have told me that they believe any liability rests with the contractor.

I agree that they did not themselves do the work but they caused it to be done and that they bear the responsibility for putiing us back to the position we were in - as far as possible - before the work was done.

I would appreciate any general advice here. I am considering a Moneyclaim but I'd like to be sure of my ground first!
    Tags: None

Let us clarify a few points. It seems that the neighbour is the "client" & the contractor is the "principal contractor". When the client instructed the principal contractor did the client know there was asbestos substances involved, yes or no. Did or should the principal contractor have known that there was asbestos related substances involved, yes or no. It would be very interesting to confirm on this. The EHO must be involved. They can comment regarding any decontamination efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by sandfordboy View Post
      Let us clarify a few points. It seems that the neighbour is the "client" & the contractor is the "principal contractor". When the client instructed the principal contractor did the client know there was asbestos substances involved, yes or no. Did or should the principal contractor have known that there was asbestos related substances involved, yes or no. It would be very interesting to confirm on this. The EHO must be involved. They can comment regarding any decontamination efforts.
      The client may well have known but will deny this and it couldn't be proven. The contractor should have know and in any case I believe it would be held that such a contractor engaged in roofing work has a duty to familiarise themselves with different roofing materials and the required procedures associated with them. Basically, a householder could reasonably claim ignorance whereas a professional contractor could not.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X