• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Driveway Damage caused by neighbour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveway Damage caused by neighbour

Hello - hoping someone can help please.

I live in an old (400+years) property in Kent and we have an old cobbled driveway. Not sure if it dates back the full way but it's certainly more than twice as old as me, probably a lot more and I'm edging close to retirement! We own the land the driveway is on but our neighbour has a right of way across it. They park their car at 90 degrees to the part of the driveway that we own and since they just bought a new, slightly larger and heavier car the action of turning the front wheels on full lock every time they come and go is digging up all the cobbles and making a right mess.

We don't get on with them at all - they are of the type where the whole world revolves around them etc, and we've unfortunately fallen out about one too many trivial matters now, otherwise we would be able to have a grown up conversation with them and come to an agreement I'm sure.

As that is no longer possible, does anyone know where we stand legally on this? If it were a normal driveway of tarmac or pavers then it would more likely be a case of the driveway not being properly put down and a simple case of getting it fixed and agreeing on who pays for it. However, these stones need to be replaced properly and then ideally the cause needs to be stopped as it wasn't designed for 2 tonnes of car bearing down on just two small areas being turned. So having it put back as it was, it will only get dug up again. Clearly we don't want to replace the driveway and shouldn't have to even if this was an option.

The properties are listed (grade 2) but I doubt this would cover the driveway, photos of which are attached.

Any thoughts welcome and much appreciated of course.
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Couldn't add the photos on my original post and came here to say so, but edited it and able to add them for you all to see.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ocho27; 20th August 2024, 22:47:PM.

Comment

Hi
      Welcome to LB
      Don't assume your old cobbled driveway is not covered by the grade 2 listing. You should contact your LA conservation officer and find out. They may want to specify how repairs should be carried out.
      IMO repairs should be carried out asap. The damaged edge of the paving will continue to crumble and the area that requires repair will continue to grow
      I am not convinced you would have a strong claim in court. The defendant may argue that the cobbled paving is vey old, the sub-base has deteriorated over time and the whole driveway needs replacing

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
        Hi
        Welcome to LB
        Don't assume your old cobbled driveway is not covered by the grade 2 listing. You should contact your LA conservation officer and find out. They may want to specify how repairs should be carried out.
        IMO repairs should be carried out asap. The damaged edge of the paving will continue to crumble and the area that requires repair will continue to grow
        I am not convinced you would have a strong claim in court. The defendant may argue that the cobbled paving is vey old, the sub-base has deteriorated over time and the whole driveway needs replacing
        Thanks Pezza - if the LA conservation officer wants it repaired, this is it safe to say the cost of this would fall on the neighbour given they've caused it?

Comment

The cost will fall on you. You may be able to recover it from your neighbour.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            The cost will fall on you. You may be able to recover it from your neighbour.
            That's not ideal and doesn't exactly sound fair (I know life isn't always fair). Doesn't really sound like a solution either, as I'll end up paying to fix the damage they've caused and they'll continue causing it and we're back where we started...

Comment

Do you have legal expenses insurance cover? If so, get your insurers' lawyers to look at this. You will need to give them the full picture.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                Do you have legal expenses insurance cover? If so, get your insurers' lawyers to look at this. You will need to give them the full picture.
                Thanks - doing that now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X