• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Changing tenants - shared tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing tenants - shared tenancy

Hi,

I have been renting a 2 bedroom flat with a friend on a shared tenancy for a over 2 years. Initially on a 12 month AST which has lapsed into a periodic tenancy. My friend now wants to move out and I have found someone else who would like to take their room.

I raised this with the landlord who initially proposed a £50 rent increase and that we sign another 12 month tenancy agreement, then subject to referencing the other person can move in - I said that should probably be just fine. Later on the the landlord messages me saying it’s too much hassle and expense for them to change the tenancy agreement, not worth their time and things must remain as they are.

None of this makes sense to me? Can they actually do this?
    Tags: None

I just had a look through our tenancy agreement and found the following clause which may or may not be relevant:

Not Assign or Sublet

i. Not to assign this Agreement without the prior written consent of the Landlord which will not be unreasonably
    withheld or delayed. Where the Landlord grants consent this may be subject to reasonable conditions and the
    Tenant will be liable for the reasonable fees and expenses incurred by the Landlord in granting such consent or
    arranging such assignment.

The part that interest me here is "unreasonably withheld or delayed" ? I take this to me that the outgoing tenant should be able to assign the tenancy to someone else and the landlord is only able to refuse on reasonable grounds - not just because they can't be bothered with it.

I have also read that most AST agreements contain no such clause? Am I onto anything here?

Comment

I think that what you need to do is get a written acknowledgement from your landlord that the incoming tenant has replaced the outgoing tenant, and that otherwise the tenancy continues on the same terms.

One thing that may need to be sorted out is any deposit paid by your original fellow tenant. What has happened here?

I don't think the clause you mention in post #2 particularly helps. This is for the reason that I don't think this is an assignment, and it certainly is not a subletting.

I hope this helps. Do come back if you need more information.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi thank you for your reply.

The issue here is that the landlord refuses to budge. They will not agree to swap tenants, essentially because they simply can't be bothered to do the paperwork. We even provisionally agreed to a rent increase and a new 12 month tenancy agreement but the landlord isn't interested. Initially the landlord was asking us to pay £400 in fees to change tenants but obviously fees were banned in 2019 and when he realised he would have to pay them he changed his mind.

This has left us in a predicament whereby my housemate can't be released from the tenancy agreement without making me homeless.

Can you explain why you believe this is not an assignment? In previous shared houses I have lived in when a tenant wants to leave the landlord has completed a "deed of assignment" transferring the tenancy to an incoming tenant. Is that not the same thing?

Any further advice or clarification would be much appreciated thank you.

Comment

In simple terms, I expect that in the AST the "tenant" is described as you and your housemate, so the both of you together are the "tenant". I suppose that you and he could try to assign the AST to you and new housemate.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Indeed, the landlord won't negotiate so this seems to be only avenue available, besides moving out, which really isn't an option due to the fact there there simply aren't any affordable rental properties available for miles in any direction.

I guess what I'm asking is how to go about assigning the tenancy, is there a template letter or something we could use? (Bearing in mind that the incoming tenant would be subject to the same financial checks and referencing processes as the current tenants). I don't know where to start with that?

Comment

This is the only relevant information I have found on the subject of assigning an AST - https://england.shelter.org.uk/profe...hold_tenancies

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X