• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord won't fix leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord won't fix leak

I started renting a one bed property in Jan 2023. About a week in, I moved a triple wardrobe which was oddly placed in the attic bedroom and discovered a large damp patch on the wall.

I let the landlord know straight away and was told works had just been done and the damp was residual and would dry out.

Over the next 18 months the leak got gradually worse, so have been chasing the landlord.

To keep things brief, i have just completed on a property and handed my notice to the landlord. In addition to mynnotice i have reminded the landlord that the bedroom is uninhabitable die to the leak/damp/mould.

The landlord repied asking if our next door neighbour has fixed the roof, as the leak is coming from next doors roof.

I wasnt ever made aware bybthe landlord that the reason they would not fix the leak was because they believed it was my neighbours responsibility.
    Having now spoken to next door i have found that before my tenany started the landlord had tried to get them to pay £10000 in cash to fix the roof and threatened to sue if they didnt pay him. My neighbours apparently had 3 roofers out , all of whom have said there is no issue on their roof that would affect the house I live in and advised them to ignore my landlord.

In total i have paid £18000 in rent, and have not been able to use the bedroom for almost 14 months of my tenancy as the damp/mould and water running down the walls led to my needing asthma treatment.

Waiting for council environmental health officer (obviously will wait forever).

I was planning to use small claims court for some of the rent back due to failure to maintain the property.

Is it likely that my landlord can hold my neighbours liable for the damp/mould in my bedroom?

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X