• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance company set out to void policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So your insurance company has expanded what comparethemarket asks about subsidence to include cracks in external walls as a separate question and your answer "No" has become a statement in the policy

Insurance companies are changing their terms and conditions all the time. I have to admit I rarely read the changes in detail before renewing my policy. Fortunately the question in post 4 starts with to the best of your knowledge. My knowledge is never at its best
    Last edited by Pezza54; 14th July 2024, 18:20:PM.

Comment

I have today submitted a complaint to my insurance company on the basis that

This document was provided to me only to show that no claim was made for subsidence. Its purpose was not to provide a report on the condition of the house otherwise and so was not used by myself for that purpose. It was provided amongst a bundle of paperwork and was not something that I knew needed further investigation or attention.

That when answering the question about cracking - it states "We only need to know if cracks have affected the main structure of your wall. You don’t need to tell us about minor cracks that have affected render or plaster only. "

I have applied the test of cracks affecting the main structure of the wall. That my understanding of what thad happened was that the main structure of the wall was not effected and that the issue was effectively cosmetic matter.

I maintained that I had not made a 'careless error' but have answered to the best of my knowledge and ability as a lay - end consumer with no building knowledge. It is my belief that there is no structural defect with the property and whilst there may have been some minor issues with the mortar - this simply required some repointing and was as a result of weathering / general wear.

The only acceptable remedy to me is that the decision to void the policy is overturned.

I can only sit and wait now for a decision before ultimately taking it to FOS.

Getting insurance now with the voided policy and question mark over subsidence is turning into a real battle with insurers not wanting to know.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X