• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dispute with neighbours over easement/right of way to access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispute with neighbours over easement/right of way to access

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I had a question about an express grant easement that we have at the back of our house. The easement is to access the back of our property via the back garden and has been in existence (and on our title deeds) since the 1950s. The easement goes from the end of our garden, over the neighbours' land (and is fenced off from the rest of their garden) and around the back of their garage to emerge on a shared driveway belonging to our neighbours and the people next door to them on the other side. We bought our house 20 years ago and we got on really well with the neighbours that lived there at the time. Unfortunately, our lovely neighbours have now passed away and the house was sold on.
    The new neighbours have moved in and have decided that they want to take down the fence that makes our path private and extend their garden over the path. They asked us if we would be willing to move the path to the back of the patch of land which forms part of the easement. We told them that we would only agree to do so if it was done in the proper legal manner ie. we would want a like-for-like path to be built and to update the title deeds to reflect the new location of the path. We said to them that it would be a good idea to get searches done through our solicitors to understand more about the rights and responsibilities on each of us. They weren't happy about it but they did agree to do the searches with their solicitor and inform us of the outcome.
    Six weeks went by and they said nothing about the outcome of the searches so we messaged to ask. After that, they became cagey with us saying that they would talk to us about it but not yet, they were busy. So we waited longer, still they were too busy to talk to us. They did say in messages to us that they would discuss with us before starting any work. Eventually we had to insist on a meeting with them as we could see that they had started to clear the patch of land without any discussion. They eventually agreed to put in a meeting for 2 weeks later. They were clearly angry with us for insisting on talking about it as they then stepped up the pace of their clearing work and it became obvious to us that they were carving out what they thought would be a suitable alternative path for us, without any discussion. The alternative path is completely unsuitable as it's not even level with our garden (there would be a half foot drop to get into the garden from the path), it's just a dirt track made of soil (our existing path is concrete albeit 70 years old now and quite cracked), it's not an even width all the way along and none of this was ever agreed with us before they started work. Now they have taken down the fence around their garden so our path is no longer private and, after all the moving of soil they've done, they've left the path covered in broken glass so that I can no longer take my dog up and down it for fear of injuring her paws. They've also left a humungous building sack of soil where the path exits onto the shared driveway so I can no longer get round with my wheelbarrow or brown bin.
    They are aggressive people who have become impossible to communicate with so we have now said that we no longer agree to moving the path. We have no confidence that they will listen to anything we say when it comes to negotiating for our needs and access.
    We intend to deal with this through our solicitors and we are prepared to go to court to ask for an injunction to prevent them doing any more work in that area and, hopefully, to have them reinstate the fence that separated the path from their garden.
    We are classed as the dominant party in the easement and we feel that their behaviour towards us has been non-communicative and non-transparent at best, and at worst it has been aggressive and unsettling.
    My question is can my neighbours, or the court for that matter, force us to negotiate with these neighbours to move the path? And are we within our rights to expect that the neighbours should reinstate the fence that previously made the path private?
    Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Tags: None

I am not qualified but I'd definitely be putting on writing to them your thoughts. That you don't want the path moved & you want everything reinstated as it was. You don't give consent to changing anything.
    On a sidenote how cheeky

Comment

The exact wording of the easement would help!

Without that wording the following comments should be understood as generalisations only.

You can certainly refuse to having the path relocated, but it is their fence and their garden (even if you have a right of way over it) and as long as they do not obstruct your access right they may do as they wish with their property.

You can require they clear up the glass and remove the obstruction caused by the "humungous building sack of soil" (assuming the easement allows your use of a wheelbarrow)

Comment

Thank you DES8 and LOLA49 for your responses. As far as I'm aware, the easement does allow us to use a wheelbarrow on that path as well as taking our brown bin around the back for garden maintenance (or at least that is what we've been using it for as long as we've lived in our house). The broken glass is the worst part of the mess though. As well as the building sack of soil, they've made a heap of soil alongside the path that the broken glass washes out of when it rains. We've cleared glass from the path already and there is still more. We'll definitely be asking our solicitors to write to them, we've made our objection clear to them for now.
        Shame about the fence DES8 but, if it's not in our rights to expect that then fair enough. And LOLA 49 - we thought it was cheeky too! They'd told us when they started digging that they were just levelling their garden but it's become quite obvious that they've been marking out for a new path that they've decided on for us alone!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X