• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sent a bill by communal property owner accusing me of stealing electricity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sent a bill by communal property owner accusing me of stealing electricity

Hello

I am a tenant in a flat. There are sockets outside my flat door, which are billed to the communal property. For the last couple of months I have been using a socket for electricity. The property owners have now sent me a bill for £600 threatening to inform their solicitors if it isn't paid. They say they have photographic evidence of it.

Just a few questions:

How can they prove I have used electricity for that amount? (could be used by anyone). The photo could be of anyone's door. Or else they could have shoved a lead under my door, plugged it in and took a photo.

What is the likely outcome if I refuse to pay this fine or admit fault? Is this a criminal or civil case?

I have not decided on a course of action yet, so the questions here are merely out of general interest as to what could happen.

Thanks
    Tags: None

have you asked the owners how they quantify the value of the electricity you have been taking without payment?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      have you asked the owners how they quantify the value of the electricity you have been taking without payment?
      No. But I assume they can produce a bill showing charges higher than they normally are.

Comment

You appear to have answered your question. And they may find this forum and read your admission in post no 1.

In answer to an earlier question, you could face a civil claim for payment and possibly a criminal prosecution for theft.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

You've admitted the theft in Post #1 so I'd recommend you pay up and stop stealing.

As answered above, a civil claim, but could be reported to police for theft of electricity if you don't pay up.

Photos of doors, when studied in detail for every nick scrtach and paintwork mark, are usually unique and will show it is your door.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X