• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Withdrawal from an online land acution contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withdrawal from an online land acution contract

Hi

First some background to how I ended up in this situation.
    I had found some land, just a field, I was interested in on an online auction site, paid my deposit, and got the legal pack review by a solicitor, visited the field and everything looked ok, the solicitor confirmed that the legal pack was standard and there was nothing to concerning in the pack other than the timelines of 14day which would be “tight”.
    Day of the auction I logged on to the site and searched for the location and 2 auctions were listed, the one I wanted to bid on and another one close by that I had not seen, I checked the legal pack and it was the same, except for the location and the details of the field. The original piece of land I wanted to bid on had reached the maximum I wanted to pay but the other piece of land was still below what I had budgeted, so I paid a second holding fee so I could bid, this was accepted 15 mins before the scheduled end of the auction which I subsequently won.

The following day I visited the field, and this is where the problem starts!
    The following are summary of the mail exchange I had initially with the auction house and then the vendors solicitors
    I recently revisited the property and engaged in a conversation with an individual who was attending to horses in the field. To my surprise, he revealed that he has been a longstanding tenant of the land for a period exceeding 10 years..
    It is imperative to note that the document titled "Special Conditions - xxxxx - xxxx Lane" explicitly states, under the section pertaining to Tenancies, that "There are no TENANCIES." This assertion is demonstrably inaccurate, as there is indeed a tenant in occupancy.
    Had I been apprised of the presence of an existing tenant, a fact conspicuously omitted from any of the documents, particularly in light of the unequivocal statement that "There are no TENANCIES," I would not have submitted a bid for the property.

Following is a complaint I have logged with the auction house
    The image below is taken from google maps. The gate on the right-hand side of the image is the gate that the auctions pictures were taken from, the open gate in the center of the image is xxxxxx- equestrian who’s office and main buildings are 5 meters to the left of the gate.

After looking at the auction images on your site, which are displayed for a brief 5-second duration each, at a small size and low resolution, I have acquired higher-resolution images as evidence, accessible here: [Link to Images] These enhanced images reveal a significant disparity from those displayed on the auction site, where a lower resolution and reduced display size were employed. The improved resolution allows for the identification of horses present in the field, a detail that would have been evident at the time the photographs were taken.
    Below is a section of one of the images at 100% , I have cut this down to fit in the document.

The presence of horses in the field is clearly evident in this image and others available on the EIG site. This revelation directly contradicts the information provided in the legal pack, which explicitly states, "There are no TENANCIES." It is apparent that the field is presently occupied, a detail that should have been readily noticeable to the individual capturing the photographs at that time.
    Considering the obligation imposed by RICS Professional Standards on auctioneers to "thoroughly verify the accuracy of catalogued information through personal inspection and consultation with the seller's solicitor regarding legal matters pertaining to title and occupation," a brief 5-meter walk to visit to xxxxxxx xxxxxx Equestrian would have sufficed to clarify the situation. I do not consider this to be an unreasonable or onerous activity, given the requirement set forth by RICS Professional Standards.
    The main points of the complaint are as follows

Compliance with RICS Professional Standards: The RICS PROFESSIONAL STANDARD governing Auctioneers selling real estate, including Common Auction Conditions 4.3, obliges auctioneers to diligently verify the accuracy of catalogued information through personal inspection and consultation with the seller's solicitor regarding legal matters affecting title and occupation.
    a. Specifically that the filed was occupied
    b. The standard also require adherence to Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPRs) (when dealing with consumers)

Adherence to Consumer Protection Regulations: The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, Regulation 5, section (b), stipulates that a commercial practice satisfies its conditions if it contains false information, leading to untruthfulness concerning any matters outlined in paragraph (4), or if it deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer in any manner regarding those matters, even if the information is factually correct. Furthermore, it must cause or be likely to cause the average consumer to make a transactional decision that they would not have otherwise undertaken.
    a. Section 5, section (c) pertains to any failure by a trader to uphold a commitment outlined in a code of conduct that the trader has pledged to adhere to.
    b. Section 6, In Brief - Misleading Actions and Omissions: A commercial practice is deceptive if it contains false information or presents information in a manner that deceives (or is likely to deceive) the average consumer, thereby influencing their decision to make a purchase. An omission is also deceptive if it conceals material information that the average consumer requires to make an informed decision, or if it is presented in an unclear, unintelligible, ambiguous, or untimely manner.
    c. The omission of the field being occupied by horses, which is clearly evident in the EIG images and should have been noticeable to the person capturing the photographs at that time or the individual compiling them for your auction site, is a pertinent example of a potential violation of these regulations.

The contract contains special conditions but also a section titled “Extra special conditions” which contains:-
    1. The BUYER acknowledges that it has not entered into this agreement in reliance upon any statements or representations made by or on behalf of the SELLER its agent or solicitors.
    2. The Property is sold in its present state and condition, and the SELLER is under no obligation to sell the Property with vacant possession.
    3. The Property is sold as seen and the BUYER accepts that the SELLER has no knowledge whatsoever of the Property.

So basically, the legal pack is not worth the paper it is written on.

I bid on the land based on the information presented, I can't believe that they did not know the land was at least occupied as they would have seen this when taking the pictures for auction.
    I feel that I have been misled by the information presented and should be allowed to withdraw but they are now threatening legal action unless I complete in 10 days !

What are my options with this?

Thanks, Paul

Tags: None

The images you posted haven't appeared in your post.

I would get a statement form the individual attending horses, saying 'that they had been doing this for 10 years'.

What they have done may amount to 'misrepresentation' under the Misrepresentation Act 1967.

But this would be determined by a Court on the facts in the case.

I think the Seller fails the 'Reasonable Test'.

Posted for information only -

https://cunningtons.co.uk/property-a...nable%E2%80%9D.

Wait for other members to comment.

Comment

here are the missing images from the above post

Comment

Is the document containing the "Special Conditions" part of the auction contract? If not, what exactly is it?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

This sounds like a 'set up', the other plot being used as 'bait'.

The Seller must have knowledge of the 'individual attending horses on the land for 10 years', it sounds ridiculous if he doesn't'.

Comment

just a thought but there probably are no tenancies (one may be claimed of course) - perhaps just annual grazing licences or similar. Though I do agree the statement was made to mislead.

Comment

Posted for info - https://emlaw.co.uk/auction-problems-sps-v-mahil/

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                Is the document containing the "Special Conditions" part of the auction contract? If not, what exactly is it?
                RICS produce COMMON AUCTION CONDITIONS (EDITION 4) ( https://www.rics.org/profession-stan...ion-conditions)

Under the section GENERAL CONDITIONS OF SALE of the above document
                Words in small capitals have the special meanings defined in the Glossary. The GENERAL CONDITIONS (as WE supplement or change them by any EXTRA GENERAL CONDITIONS or ADDENDUM) are compulsory but may be disapplied or changed in relation to one or more LOTS by SPECIAL CONDITIONS. The template form of SALE MEMORANDUM is not compulsory but is to be varied only if WE agree. The template forms of SPECIAL CONDITIONS and schedules are recommended, but are not compulsory and may be changed by the SELLER of a LOT.

The legal pack then had a document called "SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF SALE for seller xxxx" which i have attached , i have xxxx out any identifying names and addresses.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                  This sounds like a 'set up', the other plot being used as 'bait'.

The Seller must have knowledge of the 'individual attending horses on the land for 10 years', it sounds ridiculous if he doesn't'.
                  The sale is by "Trustees in Bankruptcy" The document from the high court appointing 2 people from 2 companies as joint trustees is dated 2012 , so i think it quite reasonable that they may not have known ?

Comment

The answer to my question shows that it is a term of the contract that there are no tenancies. If there is a tenancy, the seller is in breach of contract.

Consult your solicitor as to your remedies.
                    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by o0hex0o View Post

The sale is by "Trustees in Bankruptcy" The document from the high court appointing 2 people from 2 companies as joint trustees is dated 2012 , so i think it quite reasonable that they may not have known ?
                      O.K., so nobody knows the 'individual has been attending horses' for 10 years, the landowner didn't know about it, could the 'individual' claim 'adverse possession' over the land..

Comment

A person who has been permitted onto land by the landowner cannot claim adverse possession. In part the clue is in the word "adverse".

The landowner may well have known of this, but he or she is not the seller.

Comment

I have been through this, it's a luckily I muddled through, I may add quite at extra cost, that I had no knowledge off, good luck, resolving this.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

O.K., so nobody knows the 'individual has been attending horses' for 10 years, the landowner didn't know about it, could the 'individual' claim 'adverse possession' over the land..
                            not quite I believe, the images on the auction site are reduced size and resolution so you can't see the detail, i was able to find high-quality versions images which you can just about pick out the horses.
                            RICS Professional Standards, which mandate diligent verification of cataloged information through personal inspection. According to these standards, it's reasonable to expect that they would have visited the site and likely taken the pictures themselves.
                            It is evident that anyone capturing the images or even visiting the site would have noticed the presence of horses in the field, indicating occupancy if not tenancy. Given the proximity of the Equestrian center next to the field (see pictures further up the thread), it would have been a simple matter to inquire about the horses, merely a 5-meter walk away. At the very least,i would have thought that the person from the auction site would have raised the issuethe law firm, especially considering the assertion in the legal pack that the land was untenanted

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                              The answer to my question shows that it is a term of the contract that there are no tenancies. If there is a tenancy, the seller is in breach of contract.

Consult your solicitor as to your remedies.
                              i have pointed this out but they point to the The contract contains special conditions but also a section titled “Extra special conditions” which contains:-
                              1. The BUYER acknowledges that it has not entered into this agreement in reliance upon any statements or representations made by or on behalf of the SELLER its agent or solicitors.
                              2. The Property is sold in its present state and condition, and the SELLER is under no obligation to sell the Property with vacant possession.
                              3. The Property is sold as seen and the BUYER accepts that the SELLER has no knowledge whatsoever of the Property.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X