• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confused - How much notice I need to give to end Tenancy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused - How much notice I need to give to end Tenancy?

Hoping some advice so I know where I stand before I go to my Landlord (who does everything themselves, no agent).

I moved into my current flat in 2020 and had an 'Assured Short Term Tenancy' of 12 months which came to an end. I've gone through the original contract and there is absolutely no mention of notice period that either Landlord or I have to give or any mention of what happens at the end of the tenancy.

I just kept paying rent at the old rate for another year until the landlord wanted to put it up a bit - I agreed and they did a 'Variation of agreement' to the original Tenancy Agreement that had expired about a year before.

There is a clause added in the variation agreement stating that either party can end the agreement with two months notice. The variation agreement doesn't stipulate an end date or retrospectively extend the original Assured Tenancy date or specify that the agreement is now a periodic tenancy.

I am currently in process of buying a house and want maximum flexibility.
    Tags: None

You have a periodic tenancy I believe (just an opinion I am not an expert). Rules are

4 weeks’ notice if your tenancy runs from week to week.

1 month’s notice if your tenancy runs from month to month.

If your rental period runs for longer than a month, you need to give the same amount of notice as your rental period. For example, if you pay rent every 3 months, you’ll need to give your landlord 3 months’ notice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X