• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Terraced House Shared Downpipe Causing Damp Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terraced House Shared Downpipe Causing Damp Issues

Hi everyone,

I'm currently facing a damp issue in my terraced house, and after consulting a builder, it seems the problem might be linked to my neighbor's house.

According to the builder, my neighbor doesn't have their own downpipe and is sharing my gutter, causing overflows during heavy rains over the last month. The builder recommended checking my Title Deed to verify the legality of this arrangement (he believes it's not permitted). However, I couldn't find any specific mention of pipes on the Title Deed. Is there a particular section where this information might be included or a better way to confirm this?

I have minimal interaction with my neighbors, and they seem nice. The previous owners took it upon themselves to modify the arrangement during their construction work, opting to share my downpipe/gutters seemingly to maintain the aesthetic appearance of the back of their property (If I remember correctly it wasn't like that previous to works).

My plan is to first confirm these details and then document the situation with photos. I intend to approach my neighbors and discuss a resolution, as it's necessary for them to erect scaffolding and redirect their downpipe to their own gutter/drains. The water marks appearing on my walls indicate that this shared arrangement is causing damage.

Over the weekend, I'll upload some photos to illustrate the situation more clearly. I'm seeking advice on the best way to clarify the legalities and approach this situation with my neighbors.

Any suggestions on how to navigate this or insights on finding the relevant information would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: None

How long has this arrangement been in place? An easement or other legal right may have arisen with the passage of time.

Assuming, however, that the previous owner's work was rather less than 20 years ago, you need to speak to your neighbours, explain the problem and how it has arisen, and request them to install their own downpipe.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If you are in a Terrace, have you looked at the gutter/downpipe arrangements for other properties? are those the same as yours or,clearly different & individual to other properties? Check carefully, don't want a war over this.Has anyone rodded/cleared the downpipe to be absolutely sure that blockages are not the issue? Be careful.

Comment

UPDATE:

The neighbouring houses seem to have their own down pipes. I have now attached photos below of the issue.

I've thoroughly checked my Title Deed, and interestingly, there's no mention or recording of Easements regarding these pipes.

My annual maintenance routine includes regular gutter cleaning, and it's worth noting that my property had an extension built four years ago. This is the first time water damage has appeared, and I suspect it's due to the exceptionally heavy rainfall this year. Besides that, there haven't been any significant changes.

I plan to discuss this issue with my neighbor when they return from vacation next week. However, I'm uncertain about the legal aspect - if there are no easements recorded, does that mean my neighbor isn't partially responsible for altering the downpipe/gutter setup, even though it's causing damage to my property?

Thank you all for your insights and advice in advance.
        Attached Files

Comment

these houses look very British but just checking due to the spelling of neighbour and the use of vacation...this is in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
            these houses look very British but just checking due to the spelling of neighbour and the use of vacation...this is in the UK?
            Only in the UK would someone paint their house pink, but since the arrival of the 'Barbie' movie I fear the worst.

True story someone rented a TV, they painted the rented TV pink for their daughter, explain that to the rental company.

Neighbour is an auto correct thing, I get it all the time..

Comment

Good story Echat - pink TV? Vacation not commonly used though.....as I said they do look British!

Comment

Apologies for confusion. Just to clarify, this situation is in the UK. My property is adjacent to the pink house, and the issue arises as it receives rainfall not just from my house but also from theirs.

I've attached a photo showcasing the leak for reference.

Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X