• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New neighbour, noisy daughter.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New neighbour, noisy daughter.

Hi, not sure if this is even something that can be resolved, but here we go.

Just over a year ago our elderly neighbour passed away and the council moved in a single mum with her 7 year old son and 12 year old daughter with "special educational needs".

The daughter continually provokes arguments with her mother to the point of blazing rows and what can only be described as throwing things around, stomping hard on the floor and shouting obscenities at unpredictable times of day and night. (1:30am this morning for example).

We have spoken to the Mother about these outbursts but she gets upset because she doesn't know how to stop the outbursts and we sympathise with her situation. The more she tells her daughter to stop the worse it gets.

We know this is a very difficult situation for the mother so our issue is really with what we can get the council to do? Can we insist they carry out work to sound insulate the party wall?

It is a 3 bed semi with shared floor joists and our 2 year old daughter has disturbed sleep most nights which really isn't acceptable to me anymore.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Have you spoken to the council about the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      Have you spoken to the council about the problem?
      Not yet, I wanted to be armed with advice before I did so. I don't want it to necessarily be a complaint about my neighbour but the situation and what if anything they would be legally obligated to do.

Comment

They may monitor the noise and contact the neighbour. I doubt they are obliged to soundproof the rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          They may monitor the noise and contact the neighbour. I doubt they are obliged to soundproof the rooms.
          The last thing I want to do is turn it into a dispute as we otherwise get along, say morning if we see each other etc. We are very sympathetic to her situation and fear the council could just use a generic complaints procedure.
          I tried knocking on her door this evening to have a discussion but got no answer, I'll try and speak to her tomorrow so it doesn't feel I'm going behind her back.

Comment

That is an excellent way to approach the issue in my opinion. You can be honest and say you cannot cope any more and may have to go and ask the council for help and then at least you are upfront. If you can stay reasonably friendly it would be for the best. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Comment

So I've not had any luck knocking on next door, they are either ignoring me or not hearing the knocker.

Early hours of this morning (12:50 to 1:45am) another huge shouting and banging match ensued only stopping when I knocked on their door at 1:45am this morning. As soon as I knocked all the lights went out and it went silent. I wasnt expecting an answer at that time anyway as I could've been anyone.
              This morning I popped a note through the door asking to discuss a resolution when she is free, I've stated I am free evenings and weekends for a chat.

I have attached a copy of my note, please tell me if this is acceptable?

Hopefully she'll give me a knock this evening (cross fingers). Excuse my poor handwriting I was very tired.Click image for larger version

Name:	20231107_085908.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1659234

Comment

I think that note is absolutely fine well done

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X