• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tree and boundary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree and boundary

Hello,

we have had a dispute with our neighbour about where the boundary of our property lies in our front garden. Their solicitor wrote to us to ask us to move a pot and a small fence according to where they say the boundary line is; we do not agree with their interpretation but have complied with these requests.

The main problem now is that they are asking us to dig out a tree that's in the corner of our front garden - according to them it lies on her land (the trunk is growing in her soil). We have said that because it's growing on her land (by their definition) it's her responsibility to dig out and/or prune. You can't really have a conversation with this woman as she has emotional issues and it usually descends to name-calling.

Can the neighbour force us to dig out a tree, that is (supposedly) growing on her land?
    Tags: None

Hi CYCLEDUDE

Welcome to LB

No doubt, one of the members will provide guidance on a way forward.

In the meantime here's some info - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/types/trees/the-law

Comment

Do you think it is on your land? Did you plant it there?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        Do you think it is on your land? Did you plant it there?
        Hi Atticus. I honestly don't know at the moment. The solicitor is adamant that it's her land, which would (I think) make the tree legally hers. If the boundary is as the solicitor describes, it's certainly growing in her soil. It seems they want to have it both ways - claim the land and try to get us to dig the tree out for free. I don't know if a court could force us to dig it out - we don't want it to go that far as she has the support of a guy living further down (and who we suspect is behind much of this).

Comment

Well she can't have it both ways would be my view. She wants that bit of land she takes it down....I do not know why you would have given up some of your land though unless the boundary fence was in the wrong position?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X