• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property misrepresentation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property misrepresentation

Hello,

I bought a 1950s house in August. Everything appeared to okay which was reflected by the full structural survey.

Since moving in we're finding issue after issue. A lot of these issues are cosmetic and possibly expected due to the age of the house, however some a proving very costly and I'm worried about finding more. It appears that the vendor bodged everything in order to hide certain defects and issues during the sale.

Here's just a few:
    • House needs a full re-wire due to old VIR cabling. I have accepted this is on me as I should have had an electrical report done, even though the structural survey said the installation was safe. Clearly the vendors knew it was unsafe.
    • The neighbours said that the vendors mentioned to them recently that they had done something in the loft. I went up and pulled back some of the insulation. The felt is completely deteriorated and crumbled. The neighbours said the the vendor simply covered it with insulation to band aid the issue. If they hadn't the structural survey would have picked up on this.
    • Various pipes behind appliances are leaking. There's containers that are now full. This was only discovered because the electricians had to get behind the cabinets for the rewire.
    • There's sponges shoved in gaps in the conservatory roof to stop leaking
    Do I have any legal recourse or is this all a buyer beware thing?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Misrepresentation involves things having been said that are not correct.

The question appears to be whether these are things your survey should have picked up. I suggest that you read the survey report carefully, including all assumptions and exclusions.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X