• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Why does my (leasehold) address have 3 freehold titles registered against it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my (leasehold) address have 3 freehold titles registered against it?

I searched the LR for my leasehold title today and it came up with five results: 1 for my leasehold, THREE freehold titles, and one unknown result it is not able to display online.

Why might my property have three different freeholds registered against it?

I checked my lease and yes indeed those three titles are there. My lease has one of them printed on, and the two other freehold titles written on in pen!

For context my flat is ex-council, in a block of about 12 flats, 3 of which are now leasehold and the remainder are still council flats. I bought from the original right-to-buyer, and my solicitor at time of purchase did not inform me of this weirdness and I didn't know enough to think it weird at the time.

Any insight would be appreciated!
    Tags: None

Can I just check - have you looked at Land Registry records for each of those 3 titles?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I've looked at one of them, the main one which was printed onto my lease rather than the two written on. The red box is half of my property. (My leasehold plan is the whole of wha I expect my property to look like)

Comment

Check out the other two! Let's identify whether there is a problem, and, if so, its nature.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Here they are. The largest one is the leasehold, showing my actual flat+garden.

The other three seem to be contiguous rectangular segments of the block of flats, one freehold for each segment. And I am "registered" under each freehold which contains any part of my flat or garden. Which makes sense.

However, when you search for my property number 55, you get these three freehold titles as results. But only the middle one is "labelled" as 55, the other two freehold titles are "labelled" as 56. If you search for these two title numbers directly, you don't see 55 referenced anywhere.

Extremely confusing how it works but I guess it seems fine? I don't really know
          Attached Files

Comment

It looks as if your lease is created on 3 adjacent freehold titles.

Are those 3 titles all in the same ownership?

Comment

Yes the council is the freeholder, it owns the entire block, including right, left + upstairs neighbour

Comment

So your leasehold title stradddles 3 freehold titles. Mystery solved.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X