• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How hard can you hold a builder to their quoted price?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard can you hold a builder to their quoted price?

I was hoping to have some building work done in England and got two quotes: I would have liked three or four, but it was quite enough work to get two. To my surprise, they different hugely: one was literally twice the price of the other.

Combing through them, it looked as though the higher one included items that the lower one didn't: skip hire, for example, and a substantial project management fee. This made me suspicious that although both are from reputable builders, the lower one might be incomplete and the builder might well find there are additional costs to bear during the work.

Now, I can afford the lower quote with a bit to spare, but I absolutely cannot afford the higher one. So I'm concerned that if I go with the lower quote, half the work will get done and the budget will run out. This, in turn, made me wonder about what legal recourse I might have in that eventuality.

The Citizens Advice Bureau site has this to say on the subject:
    The contractor can’t charge you more than the price on their quote unless:

1 you ask for extra work that’s not included in the quote.
    2 they let you know they have to do extra work and you agree to pay more for it.
    3 they made a genuine mistake when writing down or calculating the price - they have the legal right to charge you what it should have been.

The first point of which seems entirely reasonable, but as far as I can see, points two and three can essentially be invoked to cover the builder for any mistakes they made in the quote. Forgetting to add skip hire or project management, for example, could both count as "extra work" on point two or a "genuine mistake" on point three.

So, realistically, how much protection under the law do I have if I accept the cheaper quote and the builder finds their costs soar during construction because they left stuff out of the quote?
    Tags: None

Always read the full quote carefully. Is it a fixed price quote or an estimate? What does it say about what is included? If it is not included, it is likely to be an "extra", and charged accordingly.

Beware of variations, i.e. making changes, however small, in the course of the project.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Always read the full quote carefully. Is it a fixed price quote or an estimate? What does it say about what is included? If it is not included, it is likely to be an "extra", and charged accordingly.

Beware of variations, i.e. making changes, however small, in the course of the project.
      It literally just says "quote" on the document.

I'd be happy to raise this with the builder, but I'm concerned that if I tell them I've got a higher quote, they'll take the opportunity to "remember" things and increase the price on the quote accordingly.

Comment

I recently had 2 quotes from electricians. One was vaguely what we wanted and good value. One had every socket and lamp detailed but was more expensive. We went for the higher one as thought the lower would creep towards the higher! You could ask for a more detailed quote?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          I recently had 2 quotes from electricians. One was vaguely what we wanted and good value. One had every socket and lamp detailed but was more expensive. We went for the higher one as thought the lower would creep towards the higher! You could ask for a more detailed quote?
          It's actually already pretty detailed.

Most of the stuff in the higher quote is also in the lower one, but the valuation is crazily different. For instance, the lower quote has £345 for toilet hire, and the larger one lists that as £1200. The lower quote says we need £435 for scaffolding, whereas the higher one has that at a whopping £2500.

It's difficult to compare them both as they're broken down differently, but there are some items, like skips and management, that are definitely not on the lower quote.

Because the discrepancy is so huge, it's left us in a quandary as to what to do. We cannot afford the higher quote, full stop. To be frank, one is £65k, the other is £120k. This is why I'm wondering if I have any legal protection at all if I go with the lower one?

Comment

You could if you wanted, if the building company agrees, maybe arrange those things yourself, shop around i.e.skip, scaffolding, materials etc. So they just provide labor. A lot of costs vary according to where you live in the country.

Also research the companies, reviews etc. More importantly complaints, ring your local trading standards etc.

You have the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Try to pay deposit by Credit Card. Take pictures, video, keep a log, pay in installments.

Ask questions lots of questions.

Comment

and enquire/obtain a copy of the contract before signing up.(preferably will be a JCT Minor Works Building Contract)

Comment

All good advice - contract is obviously key. Best advice I have been given is never pay upfront - yes you will have to pay something for materials and a part payment but as someone once said very wisely "keep 'em short"!

Comment

I would disregard the higher price quote. A chemical portable toilet is about £40/week to hire and £60 delivery. Based on those rates the dearer contractor is allowing for about 7 months hire. The cheaper contractor has allowed approx 7 weeks hire.
                  The cheaper company is probably allowing for a working foreman and has very little overheads. The dearer company may have office staff and has made provision for their costs in the quote. The dearer contractor is likely to charge more for variations and attributable delays.
                  My advice is to check with the contactor that hasn't allowed for skip hire how he intends to dispose of rubbish, unwanted excavation material etc.
                  As there is a big difference in the scaffolding price I would ask about the extent of scaffolding he has allowed and also about the amount of time to complete the job.
                  If the contractor has attached his terms and conditions to the quote read these in detail.
                  Check the quote for planning approval if required, building control application and completion certificate.
                  If you are still unsure probably best to get a 3rd quote from a recommended contractor.

Comment

Sorry, I should also have said check for builders public liability insurance. This covers compensation for injury or accident to third-party persons or property as a result of negligence.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X