• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax issue

HI, I'm new but have an issue with council tax I missed 3 years of payments due to losing my son to cancer and losing my job as I turned into a total alcoholic and spent what money we had on beer but I turned it around and started paying last year's 22/23
    I payEd on time and even cleared the instalments 3 months early I have all the receipts, but what the council did was take £10 of each monthy payment and put it on the 3 years I missed so I got 4 liability order though the letter box and 4 bailiff letters each costing £75
    What I'm asking is can thay do that without my permission and take money from the 22/23 bill and say I have £80 still oweing i niw i owe the other 3 years will pay it

Tags: None

Hi.

Its quite a complex question that, becuase main CT legislation says any payment made in the year council tax is due, should come off that council tax. But council accounting departments seem to be a law unto themselves when applying payments to accounts.

So, i will make a suggestion on how to sort this, but if possible as well, can you check back in a week to see if i have asked you any questions. i am researching something in the background relating to exactly this, how payments can be moved around by council accountants without consideration of the cost or consequences for the member of the public .

So, to sort this. Email your council ct dept.

State ( nicely ) that all payments made int the year for council tax are for that year only and that no payments should be removed until this years is cleared,

You object against any charges added for late payments as the payments were made.

Ask them formally to consider using the funds they have to write off some of the prior CT due to the circumstances you have faced ( hardship grants )

An email like that should get things moving

Some questions for my research.

did you pay by direct debit or bank transfer
    did you pay on time ( if not how many days later )
    wht council is it

crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

HI Crazy council and ty for you response
      1 I paid at the post office
      2 I paid the first installment a week early week then 3 installments on time and finish by paying a lump sum of £160 ...4 Months early

Comment

Oh and the council is bury council in manchester

Comment

Some further information for your research Crazy council
          I had a phone convo with bury CT And was informed that if you don't pay the exact instalment ,ie £25 per month then that amount you payed will go on to your precious arrears and not that years bill putung you further in arrears and not even aware of it as thay don't inform you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X