• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I need some advice regarding fighting eviction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice regarding fighting eviction

Hello everyone. I am writing to ask for some help in the following matter. I will try to keep it short, although it is a bit complex and has been ongoing since May 2022.

Some background information:

I have been renting privately and living with my family(wife and 2 kids, 15 and 17) in South London, at the same address since 2011, paying the rent always on time and being an exemplary tenant. We were on great terms with our landlord who lives abroad and we looked after his property for over 12 years as if it was ours.

Due to a back injury sustained in a car accident in Nov 2019 and a few other health problems befalling me during the Covid period mid-2020 , I wasn't able to work anymore. Previously, I used to work as an electrician/plumber/general builder multi-trader. However, since I had some savings in the bank, I continued to pay my rent until I eventually run out of funds around December 2021. And since the landlord owed me quite a bit of money(labor and materials around the £15K mark)for refurbishments done at his property, I hoped it would offset the rent and we will find a mutually beneficial solution. He became a different person and started to complain when it came to paying me back and became downright quiet and unfriendly when it came to settling our accounts.

Fast forward to the present time, I am currently involved in a dispute with my landlord, who has issued a Section 8(on 25.05.2022) then followed by a concurrent Section 21(on 06.02.2023) court claim against me. For the Section 8, I have been represented under Legal Aid by SWLLC(South West London Law Centers) until recently. There is a trial date set for this claim under Section 8 on 06.07.2023. The subsequent claim under Section 21 was filed exactly the day my wife's father passed away, on 06.02.2023. It arrived at our home address while we were away to attend the burial ceremony in Europe and since it was never sent to our lawyers, it went unchallenged. Upon my return about a month later, I found the claim and promptly informed my lawyers about it, but they failed to respond or advise/act on the matter. In the meantime, it had gone to fast-track and we received a verdict for possession in favor of the landlord, dated 20.06.2023. While researching the matter, I believe I am in a very good position to ask for the Section 21 notice to be struck out. It wasn't just issued while the Section 8 claim was undergoing, but I believe the landlord's lawyers sent the claim to my home address, instead of my lawyer's office as usual on purpose, in order to avoid it being challenged. I believe it amounts to manipulation of procedure and is also an abuse of process. I also found that it failed the validity of a Section 21 notice checklist on 4 out of 5 points(no valid EPC given, no Gas Certificate, no How to Rent checklist, no Prescribed information). I trust that the Court will also agree with my findings and put things right.

Coming back to the Section 8 claim: recently, I was told via email by my former legal counsel that I won't be eligible for legal aid anymore unless I agree to a settlement with the landlord. I didn't think that the settlement proposal was beneficial to us, hence I did not agree to it in the first place. But she insisted. I told her that I had already decided to go to trial to have the judge decide instead. The paralegal in charge of the case emailed me on 29.06.2023 and told me that I will be struck off their records, as they have been instructed by their legal counsel to discharge my Legal Aid certificate, unless I agree to a settlement. I started writing back to her, in an effort to explain why I believed that the decision was wrong, as there were additional factors that weighed heavily in the decision and that have not been taken into account, despite my insistence. While I was in the middle of replying to her letter, I was abruptly sent an N434 form for a change of legal representative. She signed the form herself and sent it out to all parties, as if it she had been instructed by me to do so. In effect, I was left without a legal representative, as well as legal aid with only a few days to go before the trial.

Since then, I have had no choice but to charge of the defense and in doing so, I was able to identify numerous problems with the way the cases have been handled. I now believe that my former legal representatives have failed in their duty of care towards me. I also believe that they might be guilty of professional negligence and that they have severely hurt my chances of getting a fair trial. There are numerous mistakes that have been made, both by my legal team, as well as that of the landlords'. My legal representatives have failed to act upon the mistakes when pointed out by myself, even while they were in charge of the case. They also failed to act upon instructions received from me. After being struck off their records, the paralegal stopped answering my emails and refused to help me in the matter anymore, thus denying me the right to communication. This is not OK, considering that they have been paid by Legal Aid to help with the case up to the trial date. I had to escalate their complaint procedure to step 2, sending an email to the manager in charge of the complaints department. I have not received an answer or even an acknowledgment to date, which is an additional cause for concern.

After receiving the N434, I did ask for all the documentation relevant to the case to be released to me. I was told by the case handler, to come to their office on 03.07.2023, to have a chat and be handed the documents. As we entered the office, a person I never spoke to before identified himself as the paralegal's supervisor and invited us to sit down. He then took charge of the meeting and started speaking to me, not allowing the paralegal to comment. His attitude was very confrontational and dismissive. He kept interrupting me and would not accept any comment I was trying to make. What I found most incredible is the fact that at one point he forbid me to take any written notes of the meeting. All I was trying to do was scribble down some technical words that he used and I was not familiar with, in order to have them looked up online later, so I can also use them in my defense in court. He told me in no uncertain terms that I am being rude and I should respect the fact that we are having a conversation. I explained to him that I only wanted to write down the terms 'adjournment' and 'abuse of process'. However, he said he will not allow me to write anything down and that he will stop the meeting immediately and ask me to leave if I wrote anything down. It's 100% true, I swear it. My wife, as well as the paralegal present, were staring in disbelief. I did not want to cause an argument, therefore I did not write anything down and committed the words to memory, instead. I would like to point out that at the start of the meeting, this bully-like, overbearing person informed us that due to the fact that he was the case supervisor, everything that had been done in the case had to be agreed upon and confirmed by him, thus taking full responsibility. Good news for the paralegal, when it comes to having them investigated for professional negligence, breach of duty, and refusal of communication somewhere down the line, I guess.

Going forward, my plan is to enlist the help of the duty solicitor on the trial day. Upon inspecting the Section 8 case documents, I found that instructions given by the Judge to the parties had not been followed as they should have been. Due to this, I will ask for an adjournment, in order to gain some breathing space, while I attempt to find alternative legal help from a lawyer registered with the Law Society. I believe I am well within my rights to be asking for judicial review in the matter, seeing that my previous lawyers did not defend me in the best possible way.

Could you please tell me what is best to do next and if it would be possible to have someone look at my case and assess the situation? Although I have learned a lot during the last few days, doing research online, I am sure I could benefit from the advice of a professional in the field, who might be able to identify other problems. Although I am a quick study, I believe one can't become proficient in the legal realm with only a few days of research online under his belt. I just need someone with experience to help me make heads or tails of this convoluted predicament I now find myself in. Any advice and help would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards, Michael
    Tags: None

HI - I hope someone with formal legal knowledge will come along to help but my brief view is
    a) the s21 is invalid if there is no gas cert etc. You can ask the court to overturn it but you will have to be quick and it will cost you to do so if it has already been issued. I do not know how to do this - someone else her may. I do not believe it was necessarily wrong to send the documents to you directly even if you have a lawyer
    b) if you owe the rent (and cannot prove an agreement) the LL is likely to win his s8 case anyway
    c) you can report the solicitor to the Legal Ombudsman if you feel you have been disadvantaged
    d) I do not know if there will be a duty solicitor in civil court - there may be but you may well end up defending yourself
    e) you will not get a judicial review in my opinion - that is only for errors in law not the failures of lawyers
    f) I really hope a professional replies to this thread to assist you

Forgot to ask - is there a deposit and has it been protected in a scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      HI - I hope someone with formal legal knowledge will come along to help but my brief view is
      a) the s21 is invalid if there is no gas cert etc. You can ask the court to overturn it but you will have to be quick and it will cost you to do so if it has already been issued. I do not know how to do this - someone else her may. I do not believe it was necessarily wrong to send the documents to you directly even if you have a lawyer
      b) if you owe the rent (and cannot prove an agreement) the LL is likely to win his s8 case anyway
      c) you can report the solicitor to the Legal Ombudsman if you feel you have been disadvantaged
      d) I do not know if there will be a duty solicitor in civil court - there may be but you may well end up defending yourself
      e) you will not get a judicial review in my opinion - that is only for errors in law not the failures of lawyers
      f) I really hope professional replies to this thread to assist you

Forgot to ask - is there a deposit and has it been protected in a scheme?
      Hello Islandgirl and thank you for the reply and the concern expressed. I can see that you care a lot about your fellow human being, from the way that you write. I also like the fact that you kept communication very brief and to the point, well organized. Yes, it would be very helpful if someone with formal legal knowledge would jump in to help. Although things seem to be complex, it usually comes down to common sense, if one is able to get past the technicalities.

Here are my comments and some additional info that might be useful:

a) When I signed the first rental agreement back in 2011, the was no EPC given to me, no Gas Cert, no Prescribed information, no How To Rent checklist, and no Inventory. The letting agency that we dealt with was a small, family-run business that didn't follow regulations very closely, as I realized after having to learn about and deal with the legal side of a rental agreement. After the landlord decided to take court action, the letting agency scrambled to get their act together and came up with various papers, however, they have not been produced at the time and were never signed by me, hence they don't count. If anything, It would strengthen my case by amounting to manipulation of the process.
      Apparently, there was an EPC done for the property back in Oct 2009, that has expired in Oct 2019. The landlord started his Section 21 against me in 05.2023, hence it invalidated it from the start.
      Regarding this response from you: 'I do not believe it was necessarily wrong to send the documents to you directly even if you have a lawyer'- as a lawyer, you are bound by many codes, standards and regulations, both professional and ethical. While it could be argued that they were under no legal obligation to send the notice for Section 21 to my legal representative(although I would need to make sure about this), they have failed miserably in not doing so, since they were fully aware of me having legal counsel. We are not kids here, so they can't really pretend they didn't know. It was an underhanded tactic that apparently is used by many so-called lawyers. Well, unfortunately for the claimant's defense, it was discovered and it failed to work in this instance. But it should now work in my favor, as Judges don't look very kindly upon this lowly kind of trickery. A lawyer should have a strong moral and ethical backbone and conduct his profession in an upright fashion. They have tried to take advantage of my lack of know-how in legal matters and it backfired.
      b)that is correct. What remains to be seen is the matter of having had bad legal representation that made a mess out of the case and failed to represent me in the best possible way. I am unclear on how to go about that, but I am sure I negligence lawyer will be able to advise
      c)I am definitely going to do that. I have just had a response from SRA and while they are interested to know more details about the case, they advised the same.
      d)To my knowledge, there is always one present. I think it's an obligation of the courts to provide free advice to people without legal counsel.
      e)I haven't researched that as yet, due to time constraints, but I will investigate in due time. I believe errors have been made due to the facts being presented wrongly both by my lawyers and those of the claimant. While my lawyers seem to be plain incompetent, the claimants' lawyers have tried their best to obstruct justice, using manipulation and abuse of process and that can be easily seen and demonstrated upon a review of the case. Basically, they used every trick in the book to try to intimidate me and get me to submit. They did not know that the harder I get hit, the stronger and more determined I become. It might have worked on other people, I guess.
      f) I certainly hope so too . After all, that's why this site is here for.

Re the deposit: yes, the £900 deposit had been protected within 30 days after the agreement was signed and there is a certificate to prove it. However, the prescribed information was only given to us 3 years later, in Nov 2014, upon signing the 3rd rental agreement. The landlord's lawyers managed to wriggle out of paying us back 3 times the amount(£8100), by running to the protection of Limitation Act 1980.

As an explanatory note, very crucial to the matter in hand: the agency mismanaging the rental agreement was the main reason why the landlord could not hit us with a Section 21 no-fault eviction in the first place, although it would have been more beneficial for him to do so, as opposed to issuing a Section 8 notice, which can be invalidated by paying arrears to bring it to less than 2 months and that can also be challenged with a counterclaim for disrepair, as it had been in our case.
      In the first instance, his lawyers must have assessed the situation and advised against issuing Section 21. But then, realizing that invoking Limitation Act 1980 worked and covered, they got brave and realized that it might absolve them of the problems present when we had the first agreements made. They then decided to issue Section 21 also, concurrent to the Section 8 and before any verdict had been given in Section 8. Which is an abuse of process. They were challenged about this by the Court as to why there are 2 concurrent claims for the same property. Their answer was pretty ambiguous and convoluted, but in essence, they claimed that there is nothing to forbid them to do so.

Comment

God bless you and all the best Islandgirl. Looks like you are the only kind soul around. It also seems that I have wasted my time asking for help here. Nobody else bothered to help, so I now know not to come here in the future. You would have thought the last 3 years have tough people a lesson and they would have become less selfish and self-centered. Peace and blessings to you, Islandgirl.

Comment

Hi PeacefulWarrior . I am sorry you have no further responses but everyone on here is a volunteer with a busy life. I will tag atticus who may have some thoughts and Crazy council . Sometimes people just miss posts as they are really busy.
          Re your replies - if you have not been given an up to date gas certificate etc the S21 should have failed. I would contact the court. I do not know how to get it set aside (my speciality is magistrates court criminal but I have experience of landlord issues in my other life!)
          Many Landlords do issue S8 and S21 together as a belt and braces in case the debt is paid down before the hearing takes place
          Good luck

Comment

I have previously refrained as I thought islandgirl had pretty much covered it.

That said, I see the tenancy commenced in 2011. I am not sure that the rules about EPCs apply to tenancies begun then. I think those rules came in later.

I also see that there was a hearing last week. Would the OP care to update us?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              I have previously refrained as I thought islandgirl had pretty much covered it.

That said, I see the tenancy commenced in 2011. I am not sure that the rules about EPCs apply to tenancies begun then. I think those rules came in later.

I also see that there was a hearing last week. Would the OP care to update us?
              Same here, plus, you mybe should have taken the solicitors advice and settled. The problem is going to be the arrears. Any claim against the landlord for unpaid work would eb separate to ny eviction proceedings. Am guessing the settlement ws bout them 2 issues
              crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X