• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Building on a Shared Driveay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building on a Shared Driveay

Hi there

We moved into our 1930’s semi around 2 years ago and it has a narrow-ish driveway sandwiched between our house and the neighbours. The driveway widens at the back where there were originally two garages, one for each property but the previous owners of our house demolished ours and the neighbours still stands.

we would like to build a small lean-to extension on the side of our house but our neighbours say it’s a shared driveway. I have looked at both of our title deeds and title plan and can’t find any reference to any rights of way or easements. The title plan shows the red boundary line as running down the middle. All other houses on the street have walls or fences splitting their driveways.

the previous owner of my house and neighbours did recently jointly pay to have the entire driveway block paved and the conveyancing forms note the house as having a shared driveway.

Given there is nothing within the title deeds and the title plan shows a clear boundary line, I am wondering whether we do indeed have a shared driveway or not? The neighbours have lived there for more than 20 years so I’m concerned if they have established a prescriptive easement.

just to add, no one parks between the houses as we have a driveway each at the front of the house. It’s basically a ‘T’ shape. Occasionally a relative of theirs might park there for example staying for Xmas but 99% of the time it’s vacant and neither of us store anything on the drive.

many thanks.
    Tags: None

You are going to have to be clearer about these "conveyancing forms".

I think you need to consult a solicitor, with all relevant documents. The fact that previously there were garages at the back suggests a shared right of way and that each side has an easement.

I can see arguments on both sides arising from the sharing of the cost of the new paving.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks Atticus. The conveyancing form I referred to is the Law Society TA6 form (upto date information regarding the property). Thanks.

Comment

A bit more context please: which question, and what was the exact reply?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Section 8 (Rights and Informal Arrangements):

8.1 Does ownership of the property carry a responsibility to contribute towards the costs of any jointly used services, such as maintenance of a private road, a shared driveway, a boundary or drain?

Answer: Yes, shared driveway.

8.2 does the property benefit from any rights or arrangements over any neighbouring property (this includes rights of way)?

Answer: No.

thanks.

Comment

Is it the only route to the rear garage and would your extension block it If so, they and you probably have some right to access the rear unobstructed

But, if all the other houses have dividing walls running down the drives, then yours is prob just a friendly agreement,

Check your deeds with the land registry versions, if they show a divider, and theres no covenet or easement on the deeds, you can probably do it.

crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

It is the only route to the garage and the proposed extension would run to centre boundary line. They could still access the garage albeit a narrower access path and could get a vehicle up there. Attached is title plan (we’re no 73).
              Attached Files

Comment

*could NOT get a vehicle up there.

Comment

Based solely on this thread, I think you and your neighbour probably each have a right of way over the whole of this driveway to gain access with vehicles to the rear of your properties.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X