• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scaffolders drilled into my wall to erect scaffold without permission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaffolders drilled into my wall to erect scaffold without permission

Hi,

I was woken up this morning to the sound of workers erecting a scaffold outside my neighbour's property. In the process of putting it up they've set up poles and boards directly outside my living room and bedroom windows to the point where I can barely open my windows anymore. I was willing to accept this as the scaffold is installed on the pavement so not on my property, however a few hours later they returned and started drilling directly into my property wall to put a tie in! At this point I asked the worker if he was drilling on my side of the wall and he replied yes, he had to in order to anchor the scaffolding to the wall, otherwise it would fall. I accept this, however my permission was not asked and I was not informed that this would be happening prior to the fact, by the time I realised what was going on they had already drilled the hole in my wall. I asked why I was not notified beforehand and he said that was the housing association's responsibility and they were just the contractors.

I rang the housing association and they said they would investigate the matter and get back to me. I've just been left absolutely incredulous though, surely a hole can't just be drilled in my property wall without my permission? Is there any action I could take on this?

For info I own my property, next door is social housing.
    Tags: None

This is trespass, and you would be entitled to claim damages from this contractor.

It may be easier and cheaper for you to claim on your own buildings insurance if the contractor will not make good.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Under what circumstances would I be able to claim damages? It is a single hole they have drilled and he said they will put in brick filler after it is done, would this be sufficient remediation on their end?

Comment

Whether brick filler effects a good enough repair is not within my skill set as a lawyer.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X