• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Easement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easement

We bought a property a couple of years ago. The property is twenty-years-old. The property has a track access for three properties. Our property only has an easement for tractors. How do we acquire an easement for our cars and the cars that use our stables? Thank you.
    Tags: None

Well, you can approach the landowner concerned to see if he will grant an easement. I would expect this to be at a price, and that you will have to pay all legal costs.

Or you can attempt to create an easement by using the access exactly as you wish for 20 years openly and without being stopped. You will need to keep clear unimpeachable records to prove this uninterrupted use, so that you can establish your case in 20 years time.

EDITED TO ADD: You might find this thread helpful: https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...e-about-to-buy
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you Atticus. At my age, twenty years is no guarantee of anything. The track was used by the previous owner for nearly twenty years. I presume those acquired years cannot be passed down to me? History has it that the farm track owner is somewhat irrational and possibly not approachable. My house is landlocked and I need to use the track to get to the public road. I understand, there is a law regarding easement by necessity, is it possible I can use this law to my advantage if there is ever an upset?

Comment

As was decided in Welford v Graham [2017] UKUT 297 (TCC), use by previous owners may count.

Regarding easement by necessity, the necessity needs to be more than just reasonable

Comment

I agree - when I first replied I hadn't read the other thread and was just going on what the OP said in post #1. We can but hope that the evidence of previous owners' use is good enough.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X