• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coal Mining Subsidence to my property, repairs haven`t solved the problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coal Mining Subsidence to my property, repairs haven`t solved the problem.

My property is a 300 year old Farmhouse which was the subject of major renovations in 1994. In 1998, the Coal Authority began mining in the area underneath my property and land, mining continued until the pits were all closed down in 2016, and as a result, my property has been subjected to coal mining subsidence over the years. Each claim I have put in, the CA have denied responsibility and pushed me to arbitration. Each time, I have won at arbitration.

In 2016, I was forced to put in a claim for my house which was suffering from subsidence, which showed itself in the form of huge cracks in the walls of the rooms at the front of my house. The CA denied responsibility. We took it to arbitration and won . I had an `expert` submit the claim for me, and he also drew up plans for a solution which he believed would sort the problems out. The CA refused to accept my `experts` opinion, and they also refused to accept his plan for resolving the problem, and so CEDR appointed an Independent Expert to come out and look at the property and come up with a plan of action to solve the problem.

The Independent expert came out, assessed the property and drew up a plan of action to resolve the problem and the CA sent in their own contractors to do the work. After working here a couple of days, my Partner became very concerned with the way they were carrying out the work, as all the plaster had to be removed on the affected walls, and they were attempting to remove the plaster with a 1 inch wood chisel and consequently were damaging the bricks underneath. The Contractors then said the work was a lot more than they had quoted for as they believed that a lot more had needed to be done once they`d seen the bricks underneath the plaster and they said they believed the walls were unsafe, and they walked off the job stating they`d be back with the Independent Expert to decide which way to go.

A few weeks later, the Independent Expert came back out to look at what was going on, and he stated quite emphatically that the CA`s contractors had damaged the bricks by trying to take the plaster off with a 1 inch wood chisel and he confirmed this in his report to the CA.

Obviously, we didn`t want those contractors back, as in the words of the Independent expert, they were `cowboys` who clearly didn`t know what they were doing! We were told we could get our own contractor in, so we got our builder to meet the Independent Expert as the property. Our builder listened to the Expert, but voiced his opinion that the work he was suggesting wouldn`t be sufficient to stop the house from moving, he said the works suggested were like putting a sticking plaster on a heart attack, and that the house need underpinning, or knocking down and being rebuilt on a raft, as has happened with another property in our area! We told the CA what our builder had said, but they pointed out that we were bound by the terms of the arbitration, and as such, had to accept the Independent Experts opinion.

Our builder began to do the work, he did over and above what the Independent Expert had suggested, and we took photo`s all of the way through the work .

Fast forward 6 months and the works carried out have failed, just as our builder had said they would. The cracks are back in exactly the same places! WE contacted the Expert and he refused to get involved and said the repairs couldn`t have failed and the house couldn`t still be moving and suggested we get another experts opinion, bearing in mind we have already had our own experts opinion which the CA wouldn`t accept, so there seemed little point in getting another! We also contacted the CA, who after lockdown and many months of arguing, came out to inspect the property in July of this year and they agreed the works hadn`t solved the problems...hereby lies the problem....

The CA are saying that they paid to have the works done as per the Independent Experts recommendation and so it isn`t down to them to solve it. However, they said they were willing to have a meeting with the expert and us to try find a way forward. The expert stated he would have a meeting with the CA, but didn`t want us to be present, ( we believe he was going to repeat what he`d said to us, i.e that it must be settlement cracks and that the work couldn`t have failed), we stated that as part of arbitration, all parties have to be included in any correspondence/meetings etc, so we needed to be present.

We are now awaiting a meeting to be set up between all parties.

Our question is, who is liable here? The CA wouldn`t accept our own experts opinion and suggested works, preferring to get CEDR to appoint an expert, that experts works plan has failed. The CA are saying it is not up to them to pay for the works to be done again as they have fulfilled their liability in paying for the first works. Is it going to be down to us to pursue the expert to get this resolved, or is it down to the people who paid the bill, i.e the CA and who were responsible for the work needing doing in the first place because of Coal Mining Subsidence, and for not accepting our experts opinion?

I apologise for the length of this, but wanted to give the background.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thank you
    Tags: None

I can only say that I feel great sympathy for you.

Comment

Do you have legal expenses insurance that might cover this? Have your property insurers been involved?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

dslippy thank you so much

Comment

atticus thank you for your reply. Yes, we have legal expenses insurance but haven't included my property insurers as when I took out the policy, I declared the property has suffered coal mining subsidence and as a result, coal mining subsidence and related issues are excluded from my policy unfortunately.

Comment

I think you will find somewhere in the agreement you have to use CEDR arbitrators that it includes a paragraph holding harmless the CEDR appointed expert and CEDR i.e. you acknowledged they would not be liable for any act or omission whatsoever in connection with this matter.

Comment

des8 thank you for your reply.

I don't recall seeing anything like that in the blurb for the arbitrators and CEDR but will have a thorough read through and let you know. With respect, I really hope you are wrong as I don't know what I will do if that is correct.

Thank you again for your reply though.

Comment

Depending on the wording of the appointment of the expert you might (might!) have possibility of a claim against him in negligence (ignoring your builder's comments when the true condition of the property was more obvious with plaster removed)might be capable of being construed as a manifest error

Manifest errors were defined by Simon Brown LJ in Veba Oil Supply & Trading GmbH v Petrotrade Inc [2001] EWCA Civ 1832 at [33]:as : ‘oversights and blunders so obvious and obviously capable of affecting the determination as to admit of no difference of opinion’.

Quite a high hurdle, but perhaps worth following up.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X