• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour deliberately blocking drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour deliberately blocking drive

Hi

I caught my neighbour once snooping around my back garden in my absence via my front door camera. There was no reason to be there, but clearly just wanted to look at something in my property. When I saw him a few weeks later, I asked him politely to just let me know next time he wanted to go into my property. He became very defensive and next time I saw him ( to offer apples from my garden as I did to all my surrounding neighbours) he was defiant and abrupt.

most recently, I found one of his guests substantially blocked my drive, despite there being abundant spaces in the immediate vicinity . I asked him if he could please move it as I had to get my car out and he was about to do so, when my neighbour came out and insisted that his guest would move it later after he comes inside for a few minutes. I explained that I had to go to the airport and really needed to leave but my neighbour kept insisting that his guest should ignore me and come in the house. Although the friend was clearly abashed and did not linger before coming back to move his car, I felt quite bullied and unsure what I should do in this situation. I shouldn’t have to justify why I need access to my own drive but having done so, I really don’t expect to be told that they will only move vehicles at their own convenience. I am wondering how I should deal with this situation should it recur.
    Tags: None

Try to do it nicely and in a way that shows you are concerned and do not wish to make a big issue of it. Ask him how he would feel if the situation were reversed. If that does not work, then explain (nicely) that you do not wish to make a big issue of this but without his help as a good neighbor, you dont wish to have need to seek legal action. Always best to try and solve a problem rather than making it worse. I know it is his fault, but some people are not always as helpful as they could be. Yes you could take legal action, but it would be costly and would burn the bridges that may possibly be mended.

Comment

Listen to Sam101. The only solution to a neighbour dispute is not to get into one, or in any event never to do anything to make it worse.

Comment

Thanks. I really don’t want to have any animosity with my neighbour, that is why I had tried to build bridges by offering apples but not sure if this seems to have somehow given him the impression that I’m weak and he could bully me. I have lived in the area all my life and have never had any issues with any of my neighbours before. Am I right in assuming that I have a legal right to access to my drive? I feel that I was trying to plead for this in vain so it would be useful to know that this doesn’t depend on his goodwill. Just not sure how this could be enforced.

Comment

Was the car that blocked your driveway on a public road or private land?
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

[sorry, I posted on the wrong thread]
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

It was on a public road.

Comment

If the car is on the public highway and blocking your access via a dropped kerb the local authority can take civil enforcement action so you could contact them.

Buried within The Traffic Management Act 2004 (TMA 2004) and associated regulations there is a contravention code 27 stating that to park across a dropped kerb is a parking contravention for which a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) can be issued

It might also be classed as anti social behaviour

However it will make a fraught relationship even worse, and might even impinge on attempts to sell the properties at a later date.

Comment

Thanks. Presumably it would have to be there for long enough to issue a PCN and within council working hours?

Comment

Probably.

If the council don't/won't help as a very last resort you could try the anti social route, (Antisocial Behaviour Act 2003 and Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 ).

Comment

Originally posted by Sams111 View Post
                      Thanks. Presumably it would have to be there for long enough to issue a PCN and within council working hours?
                      Not necessarily. Check your local council website because my local authority allows you to take a picture and report the obstruction by uploading it, they will then issue a PCN based on the photographs you've taken. Suggest you take front and back photo of the car and a photo of the car in scope blocking your driveway. If you take it too close, driver may argue they weren't preventing you from getting out of your drive and you/council will need to prove they did.

Each LA may be different but I would be surprised if they just wandered streets issuing PCNs for every car blocking a driveway because there is no offence if the landowner consents to the car being parked there and presumably on that basis the LA might take a reactive approach.

A quick google search suggests numerous LAs allow you to report the matter. Some call it inconsiderate parking, enforcement of dropped kerbs, parking a vehicle in front of a dropped kerb, blocked driveway etc.
                      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks. Sorry I only just noticed this. This is really helpful.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X