• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dispute with neighbours re boundary and plants- please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispute with neighbours re boundary and plants- please help!

Hi. I am new here and hope that somebody on this forum could assist me with an issue that is causing much stress and anxiety to myself and my partner Deb. We purchased a new build house in 2020 and the front of our house backs on to another property. The neighbours there are two ladies in their 60s who have never been pleasant or friendly towards us. Anyway, it transpires that where our house has been built, there used to be land belonging to another homeowner and he chose to build two new builds, ours being one of them, on the land. It now transpires that when he was trying to erect the two houses, only one household objected stating that it was not in keeping with the other houses which are 1920s terraces. It was them! As a result, the builder has since told me he had a lot of aggro from them. Walking their dogs on his land and letting them do their business, blocking the site entrance etc. the upshot is that our house has had to have privacy glass at the upstairs front as they didn't want to be overlooked- no issues whatsoever with that. However.......

They also wanted a privet hedge to remain and a cherry tree planted that would grow to 25ft to provide them with privacy screening. They then, bizarrely, took the hedge out themselves and replaced it with a concrete fence. To avoid any hassle the builder let this go as he just wanted to get the house built. To make it more aesthetically pleasing, our builder then placed another fence, a much nicer wooden one, in front of it. The cherry tree was never planted incidentally but while the house was still being built they planted various plants like bamboo and buddleia and bushes between our two fences. These have obviously grown considerably over the last two years and they have consistently come onto our property to cut them without permission. They were regularly literally stood on our property which we found uncomfortable. I eventually wrote them a polite letter asking them not to trespass and that we would take care of cutting the bushes/ plants etc. We had no reply and assumed they were ok with that. However, when we employed a handyman to cut them back earlier this year, they came on to our property telling us that we couldn't touch their plants, that they were on their land and that they could even have our fence taken down. Furthermore, they then threatened to spray our workman with paint and in the end he stopped as it was getting too much. A few days later they were out again, on my land telling me they had photos of our workman, their deeds proved it was their land, they had a solicitor, knew a policeman and that I was a "dickhead"- one even tried to punch me which was comical! Anyway, the dust settled and my partner went out to just trim some back last week (we really need to take some height off too as they are getting way too big) and they started again- "you better not touch them"..."we have photos".. "its our land, we can take your fence down"...."we are watching you"... it's causing us a huge deal of stress. Furthermore, they also tipped a load of soil between the fences which worries me they are planning on planting more stuff!

I have spoken to South Ribble Borough Council who granted planning permission and they have at least confirmed that there is no requirement from them for me to retain these plants and trees and that they would not pursue me in any way if I did remove them or cut them back. However, they could not advise me on whether I COULD legally remove them or cut them back and so have suggested that I seek a solicitor's advice. The builder gave me his original marketing plan which has the measurements from the front of our house to their fence and this supposedly proves the boundary. If so, then anything in front of their fence is our land and therefore the plants are on our land. However, they say there was a "cock up" and that the boundary line is actually further forward and that our fence is on their land! Unfortunately, the land registry does not hold specific measurements and therefore we do not know where we stand. We don't want a civil suit and are actually happy to leave them there but want to be able to cut them back and take some off the tops but they are adamant we can't- particularly regarding cutting the tops (they obviously want them to grow as high as possible). I assume in a case like this one of us would have to employ a boundary solicitor and a court would have to decide where the specific boundary lied? Or does the marketing plan that was passed by the local council have enough weight with the measurements to prove their fence is indeed the boundary line and if so can we cut down / back or even remove somebody else's property that was planted on our land before we bought the house?

Any advice would be really appreciated as this is just too much at the moment- my partner is fearful of leaving the house if they are about.
    Last edited by dave567; 18th October 2022, 12:52:PM.
    Tags: None

Above all try to avoid a dispute. I know that it sounds too late, but try to find a way of easing the problem.

Have you got a copy of the builder's plan? It will not solve anything because the house can be built a few feet either way of the plan.

Comment

I know you shouldnt have to do so - but would it help the situation if you took down your fence whilst this pair are living there (which could be a while - given their age....) and then it's "Obvious to the naked eye that the edge of your garden is clearly their concrete fence"? That would mean you having to see that ugly fence of theirs - but it would be demonstrable that all your garden IS your garden (ie because I gather there is a legal presumption that people will fence to the limit of their territory - like literally 1-2 inches inside their boundary). With two fences there then it leaves everyone wondering "Just who does the land in between the two belong to?". If they still hassle you after that - then just take deep breaths/put on obvious earphones if need be/put on sunglasses (to hide the expression in your eyes) if need be and deal with it anyway. Also bear in mind that bamboo might be the creeping type and it will pop up elsewhere in your garden if you're not careful.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X