• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tricky Annexe situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricky Annexe situation

Long and twisted one, i purchased a property 18 years ago with a gifted deposit from my parents.
    the garage and utility was then converted to make a living area and kitchen along with its own shower room and bedroom.
    The annexe had its own entrance, but shared services and utilities and even a doorway between kitchens.
    My parents then used this as their UK bolt hole as they also had a place in Germany.
    my father sadly passed nearly 2 years ago and since then the relationship between my mother and I, to a point where it has completely broken down and she has been quite hard to have around and has been obstructive and argumentative with my wife, in front of my children.
    she left the property and I had no idea where to, why or when she may return and had no replies to any messages.
    i asked her to leave and gave her 7 days notice that the locks will be changed and her belongings taken to storage for safe keeping, no response again.
    i left it nearly 2 weeks and then emptied her contents to storage and had to then clean and make safe the rooms as they were very dirty and electrics not safe.
    weeks have gone past, she has been to her place in germany and visited my sister, also in Germany and also to my brother in Dubai, still I have heard nothing from her.
    then, last Thursday I had a hand delivered letter from a solicitor acting on her behalf stating that as she gave me the money, she owes a third of the property and me removing her contents is an act of theft.
    Apparently she wishes to return, but not be bothered by me or any member of my family as we have been harnessing, apparently my messages asking her what is going on and for her to leave.
    there has never been any written agreement of any kind with the property, but they did provide me with the deposit money but this was to be offset against my future inheritance and in the basis that they could stay when in the UK.
    however, time changes, things happen and it’s a terrible situation that i have had to deal with and now I wonder where I stand with what is happening?
    i don’t and can’t have her back here, there is no option for this to happen, but her solicitor says it can go to court and an order be applied for.
    the property is in my sole name registered with land registry.
    i am in the process of seeking legal advice from a local solicitor that I have used in the past, but I look forward to any comments, help, advice and assistance.
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Take that advice and listen. It is not at all clear why she should lose the right to stay in the house/annex when in the UK.

Yes, you have difficulties communicating, but they are best solved by sitting down and talking with her.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X