• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour Issues

I live in a small apartment block, directly opposite me is a replica block so you can see directly into neighbours properties (not ideal but it’s something you get used to) for several days I noticed the guy opposite me abusing a cat, he would tease it then end up kicking it and this was going on repeatedly. A couple of days ago I thought I would record it as it seemed to be getting out of hand, he happened to look out his window when he noticed my phone. I quickly withdrew it but he was aware of what was going on. Now, he keeps going out onto his balcony to see if I will come out as I imagine he is going to be aggressive and ask questions, and rightfully so I guess. When I checked my phone it didn’t actually record anything. I just wondered what would anyone else do in this situation - deny it, ignore him or admit everything? I sense he could make our lives miserable based on previous observations. Thank you
    Tags: None

Do not assume more than you must. Just go about your normal business. You are under no obligation to give any answer to anything.

He is probably more concerned at you having seen him committing a criinaloffence. Do not let him move anything onto you.

Comment

I couldnt accept an animal being mistreated like this either and would have to do something one way or another. Is it possible to ring the RSPCA and ask advice on best way to handle this?

Comment

Yes, that is possible, if that is what the OP wishes to do.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I don’t have evidence though, annoyingly my phone wasn’t recording so I’d have nothing to back up my claim. He actually confronted us last night and stated someone was recording him whilst he was ‘training his cat’ - which he clearly wasn’t. Based on his characteristics he could make our lives hell, I guess time will tell…

Comment

Update - he came looking for me today to ‘have a word’. I happened to be out, he tried to gain entry into the block via other residents and became argumentative when they refused to let him in. I sense is he confronts me he may be fairly aggressive - any advice please?

Comment

Security cameras? Smartphone taking video recordings? Good security for your door for sure (ask your local locksmith for recommendations on this - my own has done a better type of lock for me on both external doors and is currently awaiting a sort of lock through to put on both my external doors that only someone inside my home (ie me) can manage to get unlocked (ie it wouldnt be possible for even someone with a key to get in from outside if you're inside and have got that "internal" lock locked from your side. Have a hefty friend or two living nearby available if possible to come round if needed. I'm guessing you have one external door (ie it's a door in a block of flats?) - in which case have a peephole in the door you can look through before you open the door to visitors or maybe one of those fancy camera doorbells? My own experience of security cameras (or one of those camera doorbell things as well I assume?) is that bad neighbours soon realise you've got one or more and it does act as a bit of a deterrent to them and, if it comes to it, you have some evidence of their bad behaviour. Womens self-defence course?? Yep...I'm guessing you are a woman - as bad neighbours do seem to be rather sexist and some people that will leave a man or a couple alone will be nasty to a single woman (voice of experience time). I know I've found it made rather a difference to one particular little bully and his wife when he started spotting a male friend of mine (who is "built" and towers above everyone) starting to come round regularly and make it obvious he is a friend by hugging me in greeting where he could be seen (said male friend said to me "I have been hired as a bodyguard before now - and I don't usually have to do a thing - I just Stand There" (ie looking big and muscled and giving them A Look).

Comment

Further on the asking the police idea about womens self-defence courses - and they may do these already and certainly should be amenable to the idea. I say this from quite some years ago where a man had attacked a woman in the streets in some way (can't recall details) and police put out publicity telling WOMEN to stay home or be with a friend or whatever else it was - but didnt say a word about mens behaviour. Cue for them getting called out about that inadvertent sexism in a letter to a local newspaper - and I found two non-uniform police turning up unexpectedly on my doorstep and basically telling me to "be quiet - and act like a woman and women must protect themselves (by staying in etc) and not writing letters to the paper like you just did". I turned the tables and said "What are YOU doing to ensure we are not restricted more than a man would be? How about womens self-defence courses - run by you? That's a sight more practical than telling one sex alone to restrict their behaviour". A few months - they had started some.......

Comment

Hi there thanks for the reply. I’m actually male

Comment

Originally posted by chlodah View Post
                    Hi there thanks for the reply. I’m actually male
                    Apologies for misjudging on that one then. It has been so much my experience that women get picked on more in these matters....but there are exceptions to every rule...

Comment

Difficult situation. If he continues to try gain entry, I'd go to the police station and ask them to open a case about this. Forewarned is forearmed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X