• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is a neighbours beehive a statutory nuisance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a neighbours beehive a statutory nuisance

Are beehives a statutory nuisance?

We live in a terrace house with a very small garden. Our neighbour has positioned a beehive on our boundary which is colonised by a swarm of wild bees. The flight path of the bees means that the majority of our garden is now a no-go area as hundreds of bees are constantly in the air and crawling on the ground. If we attempt to do any gardening the bees get angry and attack. We have suffered multiple stings on several occasions. We are unable to let our dog out into the garden..

We have approached our local council to intervene under section 79 f of the environmental protection act because of our right to peaceful and safe enjoyment of our property. However, the LA are refusing to act because in their opinion the Clean neighbourhoods and environment act 2005 section 79 f (a) amendment supersedes the 1990 EPA.

The 2005 amendment adds infestation of insects to a business premises as a statutory nuisance. The LA’s argument is that because the amendment only states business premises, and that bees are an insect, then this doesn’t allow them to act because the nuisance is from a domestic premises.

My argument to them is that the whole reason for the statutory nuisance section in the 1990 EPA is to protect from unsafe or nuisance from neighbours and that the 2005 amendment is only intended to add to the act and not remove protections in the original act. The amendment is intended for natural infestations of insects occurring as a side effect of commercial activities, which this isn’t. My other argument is that a bee is still defined as an animal, even if an insect is a sub-sect of animals and is therefore included in the origanal section 79 f “any animal kept in such a place or manner as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance”

So my question is does a nuisance from a neighbours beehive still qualify as a statutory nuisance under section 79 f of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and should the Local Authority be compelled to take action?

Unfortunately relations with our neighbour have completely broken down and he refuses to discuss this with us. The garden is so small that relocating the hive anywhere within his garden would still cause problems with us or with the neighbour on his other side. Erection of high fences to block the flight path is not possible.
    Tags: None

The local authority appears to see a distinction between animals and insects.

You may bring a nuisance claim against this neighbour.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

You should persist.
      Talk and keep talking to the neighbours

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
        You should persist.
        Talk and keep talking to the neighbours
        We did try to keep talking but unfortunately he just walks away or slams the door on us

Comment

Years ago I was told that if you want to p*** off a neighbour who keeps bees, you should grow garlic/wild garlic. Apparently it imparts an interesting flavour to the honey.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            Years ago I was told that if you want to p*** off a neighbour who keeps bees, you should grow garlic/wild garlic. Apparently it imparts an interesting flavour to the honey.
            He doesn’t even keep the bees for honey, he doesn’t collect it! So that wouldn’t work.

Comment

Hi, I'm in exactly the same boat. I've heard bees aren't animals. Cleansing flight season has started already. That's when next doors bees deficate all over my laundry and car, windows. Neighbour with bees pointing at my garden says bees not his and tells me to prove they are his. Beekeeping assoc have even had a word with him. Apparently its his human right to use his bees as weapons. His garden is very small. Beekeeping assoc said he doesn't have room on his garden as its built up on 3 sides. Council keep offering mediation but he won't accept their invitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevermind View Post
                Hi, I'm in exactly the same boat. I've heard bees aren't animals. Cleansing flight season has started already. That's when next doors bees deficate all over my laundry and car, windows. Neighbour with bees pointing at my garden says bees not his and tells me to prove they are his. Beekeeping assoc have even had a word with him. Apparently its his human right to use his bees as weapons. His garden is very small. Beekeeping assoc said he doesn't have room on his garden as its built up on 3 sides. Council keep offering mediation but he won't accept their invitation.
                Can you please start your own thread.

Comment

atticus This would not be a problem to my wife she infuses garlic into honey as a herbal remedy, must admit it does work.

Comment

Have you tried burning citronella candles they do not like that, there are also a host of other plants that deter bee's, Neem plant, that you can plant in pots. this may help until you achieve a suitable remedy.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X