• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenant Improvements (English Law)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant Improvements (English Law)

Hi
    We have recently moved to our new rental home and wish to make a number of improvements at our cost. All but one improvement is minor. The non minor improvement is the erection of a workshop in the garden again at our cost. This will be around 12 x 16, require a concrete base & electrical supply. When we viewed the property this was openly discussed, agreed and the tenancy commenced : nothing written down in the agreement however. (The estate agents are not proficient any way TBH).

We now wish to proceed & build the workshop, the landlord is quite happy for the improvement to be made at our cost and to current standards.

However I am concerned that the landlord will utilise the workshop improvement as an excuse to significantly increase the rent in due course (12 month tenancy agreement currently).

Where do I stand ?

thanks

MTC

Tags: None

There is no easy promisable way of doing this. The essence of the shorthold is that no promise goes beyond the term.

Comment

Why would you put so much money into someone else's property? The LL will no doubt expect you to leave the workshop when you go and he could ask you to do so at any time with a S21.

Comment

DSLIPPY: I understand your point, however doesn't the Landlord & Tenant Act 1927 come in ? Also from my research could I not get the tenancy agreement extended to 35 months and a clause in the agreement which says S21 does not apply ? The LL is a farmer and the particular property is very difficult to let due to its position.

ISLANDGIRL: We are putting money into the workshop as its a necessity. We don't have the choice, but to rent a property, which we can afford, but we cannot obtain a mortgage (so buying our own). Its as simple as that. My thinking is that if the LL issues a S21, then I simply unbolt the workshop and take it with me. I won't agree to leaving it.

Comment

Landlord and Tenant law is closely regulated and complex; be very careful, playing mix and match with provisions. The LTA 1927 is dealing with business tenancies.

Comment

My take is that you should negotiate a written agreement with your landlord that will deal with all relevant aspects of this, including the questions you have highlighted. Don't leave it to chance.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X