• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Amend stamp duty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amend stamp duty?

Hi, I bought my first property in the UK in October 2021.
    Unfortunately I couldn't take advantage of the stamp duty holiday, but at least I got relief as a first time buyer, as described in https://www.gov.uk/government/public...st-time-buyers
    I paid £400,000 for the property so I wasn't entirely exempt of stamp duty.

However after paying stamp duty I noticed that the website says "never owned an interest in a residential property in the United Kingdom *or anywhere else in the world*" (emphasis mine).

The thing is I did partially own property abroad which I inherited from my grandmother and my father. My cousins, sister and I shared ownership of this property and collected rent, then eventually sold the property. I never lived in this property abroad. We paid taxes for all this abroad, and the money from selling it stayed abroad. I never got access to that money since moving to the UK 8 years ago.
    Other than this I never actually *bought* any property myself anywhere in the world.

I want to do what's right so my question is: should I amend my stamp duty and pay the difference?
    The website says "residental property" but this property abroad was never really residential to me as I never lived there?
    Also annoying that the name of the scheme "first time buyers" is misleading really.

If I do amend it what are the consequences? i.e. would this trigger some kind of investigation in the HMRC?
    I don't think I have anything to hide but I think the prospect of an audit would make anyone a bit nervous :-)

Many thanks

Tags: None

In the terms presented, you appear to have got it wrong. You should of course come clean, but I cannot say what would be the consequences beyond at least paying full stamp[ duty.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X