• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problems with neighbours who are social housing tenants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with neighbours who are social housing tenants

Hi I'm hoping we can get some advice on a number of issues we are having with our neighbours who rent from a social housing supplier. We are homeowners and owned our property since April 2011 and have lived a peaceful life, being part of the community since we moved in.
    There are restrictive covenants on our properties including open plan at the front.
    New tenants moved in to the property next door 8 months ago and have made our life hell. They have driven over our front lawn, block access on and off our drive, they have verbally and physically abused us, threatened us, are noisy, smoking cannabis, trespass and encroach on your property, fly tip at the back of our garden, break the convenants, and intimidate and harass us.

Complaints and reports to the housing association and police have amounted very little, one conviction under section 39 with an out of court disposal, with the latest response being their family is protected under social services and will not be evicted, with the advice to put up with it and report as necessary or to move. We are devastated. They are in breach of their tenancy agreement, but their starter tenancy has been extended in the hope they change their behaviour, they have not in the eight months.

We have involved our local Councillor who has been amazing, made two complaints to the housing provider about lack of response and dealing with the issues and three complaints to the police, two to professional standards and one to the police and crime commissioner ls officer. With our case now being reviewed, however with the response as mentioned about social services being involved.

We keep a detailed log of incidents and the impact on our lives. We have a 14 year old son who no longer goes out in the village.

We are fearful, feel vulnerable, broken and at the end of the line, and at a loss of what our next step is. Our mental health is suffering, there is little support for us as we are working and not protected, we feel our family and what we are going through is irrelevant.

Any advise would be welcomed regarding what now?

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

You seem to have done everything which would be recommended. I can only suggest that you stick with the note taking and complaints.
    It may just be that the landlords have duties to you not to allow their tenants to cause a nuisance in which case you would sue them. It may be worth getting the deeds checked.
    Whatever you do never do anything to retaliate directly. You will turn it into 'a plague on both your houses' in an instant.

Eventually you should succeed, but until then I can only extend my sympathy.

Comment

Have you considered taking action under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.
      Sec 5 of that act permits civil remedies for harrassment, which besides damages (which your neighbours might not be able to pay) also allows for injunctions to restrain continuing harassment. If such an injunction is breached you may apply for the issue of a warrant for their arrest.

Peehapos a consultation with a solicitor to diwscuss your options

Comment

Thank you for the responses, they are really helpful.

I think you are right to assume they won't be able to pay, the reality is we just want out life back.

They have also been accusing us of abusing one of their children to people as well as shouting at the front of our house that we are perverts and they have in the past shouted their girls to close their curtains whilst they are getting ready for bed because the man next door is in his garden watching them!
        They lied to the police about incidents with no proof and the police have not requested all the cctv for their investigation, so i might just send them our log for now.
        it feels a mess, but the truth will come out eventually.

Comment

We are in similar situation. Sixth year now of same crap. We own our flat(leasholders), dealing with councill tenants. Making sth like 4 complains a week, gave us two abatement orders regarding noise, one caution for abuse. But we still live in hell and experience same problems. I am wondering how many videos, pictures and diarys is required so council take action. Police and council is saying they will take action if something bad/drastic happen. Low value damages, verbal harrasement, threats, dumping rubish on doorstep, kicking the car and hundrets other small petty things apparently doesn't matter. Even if it takes years of harrasement.

Comment

The Protection from Harassment Act was set up first as a away to act independently of any authority. You bring a private action.

Comment

My aunt and uncle whom are homeowners had the same problem at their previous home when housing association tenants moved onto their street.

Unfortunately it's very difficult for even the housing association to evict them as unlike private tenants social housing tenants can't be evicted without a reason and although anti-social behaviour is a reason it's difficult to prove without them physically assaulting you and leaving bruises and even then they will allege it was self defence or you made it up. Fact is even if the housing association moved them they will just have to find them elsewhere and the issues will persist with someone else and they know this so will try and keep them there, also if social services is involved they could be classed as "vulnerable" and using conditions such as having ADD as excuses to get away with abusive behaviour and some doctors are only too happy to diagnose them with it, a genuine medical condition but that is sadly misused by many.

I know it seems extreme but the only thing that stopped it for my uncle's family was moving, they rented a house in the same town but far from that street and put theirs up for sale, luckily it sold quite quickly and they then purchased another 2 years later. It was a hassle but in the end they found putting their energy into moving was more productive than putting it into coping with that family. As social housing tenants they are unlikely to be moved anywhere soon so as unfair as it is it, it might be an option to consider relocating if you can afford to.

Comment

I have recently had new housing association neighbours who from day one have shouting, swearing, dealing drugs etc. They have a 2 year old with autism who constantly screams, cries and shouts and the mother just shouts at him to shut the **** up! Constantly slamming g doors and making my life. She has shouted at me that it’s my fault for buying a house next to housing association and what did I expect how I would never understand because I’m not a mother. I have complained many times to the HA who tried to organise mediation but said neighbour not interested. I am not in a position to move but am suffering with my mental health I get really anxious coming home and no longer feel my home is my safe space. What can I do?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X