• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

No Green Bin Collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Green Bin Collection

A 1st World problem, I know. In March I paid my local council £40 as a one off charge to have my green wheelie bin emptied, once every 2 weeks for a period of 11 months. Since paying the council the bin men have been on strike, so it hasn’t been emptied for 6 weeks (2 collections). This has resulted in me carting it down to the local refuse tip, at my expense (fuel and time).

Am I correct in thinking that the council are in breach of contract and the could seek recompense. To be honest it’s not about the money, it’s the principle. They have not acknowledge the fact that they have taken my money and expect me to do the work I am paying them for, nor communicated a rebate. Nor outlined when the strike is due to end.
    Tags: None

Check T and Cs of contract you have with them.

Comment

In the past, Local authorities have extended collection to cover the loss. Have you spoken with them about it. If not, always try that first in the future.

Comment

Make a formal complaint, tell them you seek compensation for the period where the service hasn't been carried out.

If you get nowhere, ask for a 'deadlock letter', then lodge a complaint with the LGO. Make sure you have evidence to back up your claim.

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
          Check T and Cs of contract you have with them.
          I have. They are below. What specifically are you suggesting I look for?
          1. The agreement is made between the resident (customer) and Rugby Borough Council and sets out the terms and conditions under which the customer may use the council's garden waste collection service (the service).
          2. Customers can either pay online at www.rugby.gov.uk/gardenwaste or by telephoning (01788) 533335.
          3. Customer subscriptions are renewable annually and only customers who have paid their subscription in advance are eligible to receive the service.
          4. Subscriptions cover the period 1 April 2022 - 31 March 2023 and are payable in advance.
          5. The customer will receive a permit (sticker) to identify the service has been paid for. It is a requirement that the sticker is attached to the back of the bin below the handle.
          6. All bins remain the property of the council. Subscriptions are for the service only and are not transferable to another property.
          7. The cost of the service is £40 per bin.
          8. There are no concessions or refunds.
          9. Subscriptions made during the course of the year will be charged at £40. There will be no pro-rata charge.
          10. Garden waste bins will be provided free of charge however a £40 subscription fee per bin for the service is required.
          11. The service will be suspended over the Christmas and New Year period.
          12. The customer may only use the designated paid for wheelie bin(s) for the collection of garden waste. The council will not collect garden waste presented by any other method.
          13. Customers will be responsible for the bin(s) which shall remain at the property in the event of the resident moving home.
          14. Excess (side) waste will not be collected, neither will overweight bins.
          15. Bin lids must be fully closed prior to collection.
          16. Customers may use the service for the collection of garden waste only.
          17. Any bin found to contain material not specified on the website may not be collected. The customer will be required to remove the non- permitted material and the bin will be emptied on the following scheduled collection day.
          18. If the customer continues to put unacceptable material in the garden waste or recycling bins the service will be removed. In these circumstances no refund will be given for the garden waste subscription.
          19. Bins shall be left at the usual collection point from 7.30am on the scheduled collection day. The bin handle should be facing the street. Bins should be retrieved by the customer as soon as possible after collection.
          20. The collection crew will not return for bins that have not been fully emptied due to overloading or because the contents are frozen. Customers must take action to prevent this situation occurring.
          21. Collections not made due to severe weather, or disruptions relating to issues outside the council’s control, will not be refunded.
          22. Schools, churches, community centres etc. can access the service. The same fees apply.
          23. Bins that are damaged or lost and reported as such will be replaced free of charge.
          24. On termination of the customer’s right to receive the service (however such termination occurred) the council reserve the right to remove the bin(s) from the customer’s property.
          25. The customer's statutory rights are not affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam101 View Post
            In the past, Local authorities have extended collection to cover the loss. Have you spoken with them about it. If not, always try that first in the future.
            How do you mean "extend collection"? I don't want them to tag extra collections on the end of the term, nor do I want them to collect every week to make up for the fact that they have not collected. Neither of these substitute the fact that I am having to find something to put grass cuttings in and take them down to the tip. If I was content to do this, I would not have paid for the council to do it.

I have spoken to the council and there response is that collections cannot resume until the strike is over and that I'm not the only one affected.

Comment

point 21 of the T&Cs "Collections not made due to severe weather, or disruptions relating to issues outside the council’s control, will not be refunded."
              really answers your query regarding refunds or compensation

Comment

Because they have Terms and Conditions, doesn't make them fair. Google other Councils see what their T & C's say.

Comment

Well I just checked half a dozen and they are all very similar "no refunds"

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                    Well I just checked half a dozen and they are all very similar "no refunds"
                    But the bin men are / were on strike, so I'd say that is very much in the Council's control, they can end the strike.
                    I was tempted to put a 'rubbish joke' in there, but thought better of it.

Comment

Possibly you are right echat11
                      Don't disagree, but how would you challenge the council, and is it worth the effort?
                      Just asking!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                        Possibly you are right echat11
                        Don't disagree, but how would you challenge the council, and is it worth the effort?
                        Just asking!
                        'Is it worth the effort?', no, but I can understand why you would be 'irked' by it. Just a letter of complaint. To be honest the Council might just pay up, it would take them several man hours to sort it out.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X