• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

right to communal garden after 25 years of not being used

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right to communal garden after 25 years of not being used

I am a landlord but have not allowed tenants to use the communal garden for over 25 years nor have I maintained it in any way. The other two properties that use the garden and maintain it are claiming that I shouldn't have rights to it anymore and they are going to apply for adverse possession. They have split the garden between them. What can I do?
    Tags: None

I have had a similar problem where my neighbour claims he has maintained the hedge on my registered land for the 20 years prior to my ownership.

I now maintain the hedge and have fenced the land to prevent access.

My solicitor is of the opinion that any attempt to take ownership of the land by adverse possession would fail.

You need to see a solicitor.

Comment

What is the wording in the land registry files regarding ownership and use of the garden?

Depending on the answer to the above question I would start using the garden again on a regular basis and see what their reaction is
      If they attempt to ban you or prevent your access a court injunction might be the way to go.
      If they apply for adverse possession I think they will be in for a surprise. (have a read here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...egistered-land)

Comment

Are we talking registered land

Comment

If unregistered: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-registered-w

Comment

There are several unstated variables in the scenario suggested. With those variables, the answer will change.
            These are detailed questions and best is to get direct legal advice from someone who has seen the land and the leases and can take a detailed history.
            You may be ok for the moment, but do not leave it. The longer you leave it the worse it will get.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X