• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenant doesn't want to move out from property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant doesn't want to move out from property

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right section to ask for this type of legal advice.
    Me and my ex partner rented a property through agency for a one year term agreement. We were both registered as tenants of this property. After that period the contract wasn't renewed and we were paying rent monthly. I moved out from the property in Feb 2022, but due to personal issues I let the agency know in March that only I moved out and my ex partner is still staying there. Their response was that I cannot be released from the tenancy agreement until he contacts them and let them know if he wants to stay or not so they can proceed with references for him. They sent him email, called him, and let a letter at the property. The problem is that he doesn't respond to anyone, neither them or me. However, he still stays there and pays for the rent.
    The question is: is agency right in saying that he needs to contact them so I can be released from the agreement? Why can't they just terminate contract with him if he is not cooperative, an one of the tenant which is me, has already informed them that I moved out? It's been going on for over a month now.
    What can be done so that I'm not liable anymore for that property?
    Thank you for your kind advice.
    Tags: None

There are various reasons why tenants move out. You might not have any control over certain factors, but there are a few things you can do to keep your tenants happy and here with you for the long term. find more details click here as well.

Comment

You are bound to what you signed up to. Just wanting to leave is not enough. Making big assumptions, you might have a one year tenancy in joint names. If so you give notice to quite expiring with that anniversary. That stops the lease renewing in your name. It is up to your ex and the landlord what agreement they then make.
      What happens (ed) at the end of the first year determines just where you are. Some such tenancies renew from month to month, and some for another one year term (even if the rent is payable monthly).
      Identify the nature and extent of the current term and give notice accordingly.
      Assure shortholds have specific provisions for notices by tenants.
      If you want to terminate your interest early, then that is a different story - you would then need co-operation from both.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X