• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlords trying to charge me money for work carried out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlords trying to charge me money for work carried out

Hello again

As my tenancy is coming to an end in a nasty battle of letters. The landlady is trying to make a false claim by charging me £45 for work carried out by the plumber

The latter states the following

"“In addition please find enclosed a copy of Lee’s invoice for unblocking the sink in January. Lee found that the sink was full of food waste. Food waste should be put into the bin prior to washing your plates and dishes and therefore as this was caused by you, you must pay this invoice”"

1. Lee did not unblock the sink or any pipe work inside the house. Infact Lee unblocked the pipe work out side of the house as I the tenant disconnected all pipe works from the sink to the out side of the house prior to Lees visit, to show lee where the blockage was.

2. Lee did not find that the sink was full of food waste (as the sink was empty at the time)

3. Finally when Lee had finished the work he said “This is the cause of a slow blockage over a long period of time”

How do I go about rebutting this one please? So that they can not take me to court and win or they can not take it from my deposit when I leave? (deposit is with the town hall)

Thanks

Tags: None

with the town hall?

Comment

can you get Lee to write down what he did?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        with the town hall?
        its a bond that the town hall issued for me

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          can you get Lee to write down what he did?
          I can not get Lee to write down what he did and said while he was present at the property, but I can request that the landlady sends a written responce from Lee as evidence to support her claim

Comment

what happens if they start making more invoices/ claims against me that would be more then the deposit? Can they use that as a reason for an earlier eviction?

Comment

I have no idea how council bond schemes work but what would normally happen with a deposit held in a scheme would be that the LL requested a certain deduction, you refused it, you both sent in evidence and an adjudicator decides. Bond schemes may have different rules. They can evict you for non payment of rent but it is a slow process. Not for non payment of these bills as far as I am aware but they can sue you for the money.

Comment

I would guess that the council bond is a form of guarantee, in place of a monetary deposit. A further question is what liability the OP would have to the council if the council has to pay under the bond.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

but what would normally happen with a deposit held in a scheme would be that the LL requested a certain deduction, you refused it, you both sent in evidence and an adjudicator decides.
                  I am not sure how this works in a scheme; who hold the money at present the landlord or the town hall?

Bond schemes may have different rules. They can evict you for non payment of rent but it is a slow process. Not for non payment of these bills as far as I am aware but they can sue you for the money.
                  So that means they can not evict me faster if they send me more bill and I dont pay?

Comment

A further question is what liability the OP would have to the council if the council has to pay under the bond.
                    I dont know

Comment

I appreciate that. But this is a possibility, and the terms of any agreement* under which the council gave the bond should be considered.

*if there was such an agreement.

Comment

I appreciate that. But this is a possibility, and the terms of any agreement* under which the council gave the bond should be considered.
                        *if there was such an agreement.
                        It was Manchester town hall
                        Anyway hear is my reply to the letter. what do you think?

Dear Darryl Borrello in her private and unlimited capacity

Without Prejudice

We the underwriters thank Darryl Borrello for her letter dated 11-04-2022. The letter is making the following claims

1. you are running as a business from the property and having regular deliveries of large boxes of items and storing them in your bedroom

2. The boxes have caused damp and mould issues in the flat which the landlady has to rectify at her own cost

3. You must take away all broken electrical items as they can be deemed as a fire hazard.

4. The fridge/ freezer has caused damage to the flat when taking it in

5. All beer and wine making items must be removed as they are a hazard and they have caused damage to the kitchen worktop and they recently overflowed and damaged the last washing machine that again, the landlady has to replace.

6. In addition please find enclosed a copy of Lee’s invoice for unblocking the sink in January.

7. Lee found that the sink was full of food waste. Food waste should be put into the bin prior to washing your plates and dishes and therefore as this was caused by you, you must pay this invoice

Notice

Darryl Borrello is hereby noticed that we will at all times promise to pay any alleged outstanding amounts and adhere to such written notices and all legal and lawful regulations upon Darryl Borrello under her own full commercial capacity with clean hand and equity providing full, complete, certain and not misleading disclosure to the following questions

1. That “You” is running a business from the property and Tony XXXXX is “You”

2. That Darryl Borrello can provide evidence that the boxes have caused mould issues in the flat

3. That there are broken electrical items in the flat

4. That Darryl Borrello can provide evidence that the fridge/ freezer has caused damage to the flat

5. That Darryl Borrello can provide evidence that all beer and wine making items have (a) caused damage to the kitchen work top and (b) damaged the last washing machine

6. That Darryl Borrello can provide evidence that Lee unblocked the sink in January.

7. That Darryl Borrello can provide evidence that Lee found the sink full of food waste and A written letter from Lee stating the facts of what Lee did and said while Lee was at the property on this occasion and singed in wet ink should suffice. (b) and that “you” have to pay and Tony XXXXX is you.

Darryl Borrello failure within 10 days to provide full, complete, certain and not misleading disclosure to all above questions with in Accord and Satisfaction shall see all alleged claims settled and closed.

By reasonable Accommodation

Crown: XXXXX (De Facto)………………….……………..………………....................... ...........

Sovereign: Tony [CD] (De Jure)-----------------…….….…………………......................................

Private Persons Personal Representative [AB]: Christian…………...........................

Comment

Didn't we decide this was Freeman on the Land stuff? Crown, Sovereign, in her private capacity? I would rewrite it in none FOTL language.

Comment

Didn't we decide this was Freeman on the Land stuff? Crown, Sovereign, in her private capacity? I would rewrite it in none FOTL language.
                            Well I did not agree with you lot that it was freeman of the land stuff as I said a freeman would not identify then selfs as the crown in any capacity even though they where coming in as a representent/ agent of the crown (think of it as a person coming in to represent a limited company)

Dose any of the language post a threat to the argument though?
                            To bill me with this fraudulent claim of a bill; first they must prove then "Mr Crown" is "You"!

Comment

Oh dear.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X