• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Loss of Amenity during Freeholder’s development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of Amenity during Freeholder’s development

Hi,

I wandered if anyone could point me in the right direction. I am writing on behalf of some very disgruntled leaseholders. They have endured 6 years of scaffold outside their windows whilst the freeholder developed 6 penthouse flats. To provide space for the site office and other trades he requisitioned all the parking spaces and has offered zip in the way of compensation.

At the end of this process we have been served with a section 20 notice to decorate the common parts, fit new carpets, remove redundant electrics, provide emergency lighting to two stairwells. The cost for these works as tendered came in at £313,000. They excluded any contribution from the new penthouse flats as the leases (as I understand it) have not been granted.

On receipt of the section 20 I emailed the managing agent asking for a copy of the specification in order that I could select an appropriate contractor to put forward. I heard nothing further. Over the summer we were invited to review the tenders which I declined. The specification included for the replacement of the front doors to 60 flats and in that context the tendered sum did not seem overly excessive. Subsequent to that we were notified it did not include for upgrading front doors to meet current fire regs and on top of the demand for section 20 works leaseholders would be expected to pay for the upgrade to their front doors.

I have sought additional tenders and in both cases they are materially lower than those obtained by the managing agent. I, and a number of the leaseholders have refused to pay the section 20 costs until the managing agent can tell us how our sinking fund has deminished from 300k to 160k in the last three years.

what I am asking is two things

1. How do I seek compensation for loss of amenity during the development works.

2. if I obtain three quotes which are materially lower than that of the managing agent can I insist they retendrr or accept one of our lower tenders.

Any one with legal knowledge in this area we would be pleased to receive your wisdom in these matters.

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X