• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can previous owner take furniture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can previous owner take furniture?

Hello,

My family moved into a new home after completing the purchase last July. When we moved in, we discovered that the previous owner had left behind a piano and a large sofa.

Despite being irritated that he had not cleared the property, we decided not to make a fuss. We decorated to match with the sofa and our son began learning to play on the piano.

Now, 7 months after moving in, the previous owner has texted me out of the blue to say he'd like to arrange to come and collect his piano and sofa.

Obviously, we're quite upset about it and my son is gutted to be losing his piano. My question is-- is there anything we can do about this? The sale made no mention of the sofa or piano. Are we legally obligated to return them?
    Tags: None

I would Text back saying I donated it to charity when you moved in with the other unwanted things in the house.

I had a builder leave some ladders and scaffold boards after a home extension build, I donated the boards and ladders to someone else after the builder repeatedly failed to attend and collect the items. 3 years later he called and asked if he could come and get them, I told they were gone, as he never collected them. Never heard from him again.

Comment

Be aware that if you tell him you disposed of the items he may sue you for their value.

As you became an involuntary bailee when he left the items behind the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 comes into play.
      Here's an article which discusses the act https://www.lawteacher.net/lecture-n...with-goods.php

Comment

What a nerve.

Tell him 'yes;, but that you'll charge him storage fee.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X