• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Access easement and my rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I need to challenge the situation in courts on the basis that an easement holder has a right to do "whatever is reasonably convenient or necessary in order to enjoy fully the purposes for which the easement was granted, as long as they do not place an unreasonable burden on the servient land”.
    Her idea of easement is just to drive or walk through her land only. She event told us we cannot turn around on the easement land. My idea of an easement is ability to stop, load and unload and sometimes be able to leave a vehicle there for a short period of time when necessary and certainly be able to turn around. I think I should also be able to have visitors able to leave their cars there for the duration of their visit, otherwise the easement is useless.

We have been parking our cars on the main road to make space for the builders. The land owner has placed obstructions on the easement land to narrow it to make it difficult to turn, she even placed a piece of wood spiked with nails and a statue opposite the exit from our drive to make it difficult to exit. She has known about the work for the last three years, we gave her plans before we submitted them to the council. We changed the design on her request. We have never obstructed the access for anybody. Builders leaving their vehicles close to the building site is just a temporary necessity. We have never stored anything on the owner’s drive. She has been harassing our contractors.
    I think, I might just have a case….

Comment

Certainly she should not be obstructing the access.

You didn't comment on whether or not you used the access to park on your own land, or what was contemplated when the easement was granted.

Anyway, good luck if the dispute reaches court.

Comment

Thanks, yes we have a couple of parking spaces on our land but clearly this is not enough for a number of contractors visiting the building site. We bought the property with the easement in place. When you buy a property you assume you will be able to carry out building work when and as necessary. As I mentioned she has been involved in the project from day one. You also assume that for example a tradesmen attending to your washing machine is able to leave his vehicle for the duration of the job. Anyway, this situation needs to be challenged. Thanks again…

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X