• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

definition of "short access road"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• definition of "short access road"

Hi.

If you purchased a property where the sales particulars described a single lane road which comes off a cul-de-sac and serves your property only as "short access road", would you understand this to mean public or private or would it not be clear?

Thanks.
    Tags: None

It could be either off a cul-de-sac, so worth asking the question to be on the safe side rather than asking at a later date and finding a problem. I would thing private as it has drawn attention to it. The sales particulars should have given more clarity,

Comment

The Local Council for the area in which the property is situated will have a Definitive map and an associated Statement from which you will be able to identify any public rights of way.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by IdefixUK View Post
        The Local Council for the area in which the property is situated will have a Definitive map and an associated Statement from which you will be able to identify any public rights of way.

Regards
        Thanks for your response. It's not on the Definitive Map. This "short access road" serves just my property, I'm just trying to understand exactly what it means, or how other people would interpret it.

Comment

So does the land registry Proprietorship file have anything to say about this "access road"?
          Is it included within the property, or is it referred to an easement?

Comment

You could download the title deeds and title plan for the property for £3 each from the Land Registry assuming the property is registered. Use the .gov website. These documents should confirm if the access road is part of the property, or if the property benefits from a right of way (easement) over the access road if it belongs to someone else. The wording of any easement made by deed will probably have detail of any limitations as to use.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              So does the land registry Proprietorship file have anything to say about this "access road"?
              Is it included within the property, or is it referred to an easement?
              No mention of it in land registry but it is fully within my boundary. There is no easement over it.

Comment

Originally posted by IdefixUK View Post
                You could download the title deeds and title plan for the property for £3 each from the Land Registry assuming the property is registered. Use the .gov website. These documents should confirm if the access road is part of the property, or if the property benefits from a right of way (easement) over the access road if it belongs to someone else. The wording of any easement made by deed will probably have detail of any limitations as to use.

Regards
                Already have these and the deeds. The access road is fully within my boundary. There are no easements over it so I took it to be private and for my benefit only. When I purchased the property the local land charge confirmed no highway rights over it, however the council have now claimed it is adopted. I know the local land charge misled me, I just wondered how other people would interpret "short access road".

Comment

If it has been adopted it should feature on the definitive map.
                  Have the council actually maintained the road?

It is really unusual for a road accessing only a single property to be adopted because there is not sufficient use by the public to warrant the expense.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                    If it has been adopted it should feature on the definitive map.
                    Have the council actually maintained the road?

It is really unusual for a road accessing only a single property to be adopted because there is not sufficient use by the public to warrant the expense.
                    It's not on the Definitive Map but is on the list of streets. The council have not maintained it. I'm trying to understand"short access road" because at the time, together with the local land charge, thought that meant private.

Comment

What exactly do you mean by "local Land charge"

Local Land charges should be registered on the title deeds.
                      Are you referring to the response made by your local council Land Charges department to search enquiries made by your conveyancer?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X