• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Liability for historic flat conversion under building regs part E ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liability for historic flat conversion under building regs part E ?

Hi,

I live in a Victorian-era terraced house and the adjoining property was converted into an upstairs and downstairs flat at least 10 years ago. These flats are both now owned by the same person, who lets them via an agency (he is remote/overseas). As a result of the conversion the upstairs flat's primary living space/living room is now directly through the party wall from my master bedroom - it is the same on the other side. New tenants are now in that flat and I can hear music and conversations through the bedroom wall. There is a nuisance question regarding how loud they are being, but I believe inadeduate sound insulation and a violation of current building regs is a factor.

Given it appears building regs part E was issued in 2010, I expect they were not in force when the house was originally converted to flats - I can't find any applicable planning docs via the council website, which includes some records back to 1987. I have only lived in this house for 2years, so don't have the full history.

Are there any grounds/means to pursue the current owner to address the sound insulation in the flats ? It's primarily upstairs which is the issue due to the mismatch of usage/timings, i.e. bedrooms/upstairs/night-use typically quieter.

Thanks,

Craig
    Tags: None

....I've answered my own question by reading the FAQs on the gov.uk website alongside the document itself...rather than relying on a random google copy. The answer is that I cannot pursue any retrospective action as the regs would not have applied.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X