• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letting agents claiming I owe rent when i don't

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting agents claiming I owe rent when i don't

Hi

I have a ridiculous situation with literally THE worst letting agent I've ever encountered. (their google reviews say the same)

I moved out of a property end of last year after living there for over 2 years. During the first lockdown in 2020, I lost work, so the agency at the time (now sold to new awful agency) agreed I could have some months rent free to help. (all agreed in writing)

I then started paying rent again and did until I moved out.

During this time, the agency was sold and the new agency are now trying to say that I owe rent for that time. Even though, since they took over, they have acknowledged in writing that those months were, in their words, 'reversed'.

I have received an email claiming all sorts of ridiculous stuff off the deposit even though I had the house professionally cleaned and claiming I owe them X amount. I have asked four times for a reason as to why they think i owe this money and every time they send the same response, 'this is what you owe'.

To make the matter even more bonkers, I rented from them previously and had the exact same situation. I ended up living on a building site for 9 months so the agency agreed some rent free months as compensation then when I moved out i received a court claim from the landlord! I have literally just settled that claim so you can imagine how frustrated I was, firstly in having to deal with these cretins again but for them to try and pull the exact same trick again is madness!!

I will go in and speak to them because they are cowards and refuse to take your calls but the stress of having to now potentially battle another court claim is awful.

To add to this, the house did not have an EICR certificate or a gas safety certificate, so i have included that in my response to them hoping they would leave it alone but they haven't.

Any advice on what to do? I don't want to have to wait around for the inevitable court claim through the letter box and then the costs I will face in having to get a solicitor AGAIN.

They are just bullies and con people, it annoys me how unregulated and unfair this industry is for tenants, agencies can simply say whatever they like!

I have checked and they are registered with one of the redress sites so that's not an option.

Just to add, I have already provided evidence to the new agency on all the rent payments that were made so there is no miscommunication.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Did they have
    a) a deposit in a scheme and
    b) a check in and check out inventory

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      Did they have
      a) a deposit in a scheme and
      b) a check in and check out inventory

Hi,

I insisted on being there for the check out but they wouldn't let me, but to be honest the deposit isn't really the issue, it's the false rental arrears.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nicknock View Post

Hi,

I insisted on being there for the check out but they wouldn't let me, but to be honest the deposit isn't really the issue, it's the false rental arrears.

Thanks

Sorry and the deposit was in a scheme but not sure after the agency was sold.

Comment

The deposit does matter as you wrote that they were "claiming all sorts of ridiculous stuff off the deposit "
          Assume you have not had it returned in full yet?
          You should raise a dispute with whatever scheme it is in (new agents must be able to tell you ) and without a full check in inventory it is likely to fail.
          As for the arrears - if you have it in writing that you were allowed to write off the debt then surely the new agency must accept that and any claim would be doomed to failure?
          I think you need to stand up to them and to raise a dispute re the deposit deductions asap

Comment

The deposit does matter as you wrote that they were "claiming all sorts of ridiculous stuff off the deposit "
            Assume you have not had it returned in full yet?
            You should raise a dispute with whatever scheme it is in (new agents must be able to tell you ) and without a full check in inventory it is likely to fail.
            As for the arrears - if you have it in writing that you were allowed to write off the debt then surely the new agency must accept that and any claim would be doomed to failure?
            I think you need to stand up to them and to raise a dispute re the deposit deductions asap
            Sorry I wasn't discounting your advice thank you, what I meant by that was i know i can challenge the deposit deductions but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about the 'arrears'.

Comment

No problem at all. As I say I would write to them saying I have the evidence that arrears are not payable and that any court action would therefore be doomed to failure.

Comment

No problem at all. As I say I would write to them saying I have the evidence that arrears are not payable and that any court action would therefore be doomed to failure.
                I've asked four times now for a breakdown of what they think I owe and they just ignore me.

Comment

well that is good evidence if they try to take you to court! If the send a letter before action it would have to detail why you owe what they say you owe!

Comment

well that is good evidence if they try to take you to court! If the send a letter before action it would have to detail why you owe what they say you owe!
                    You would hope! But last time they didn't, I just got a court claim through the post.

Comment

Then they will not have proceeded appropriately! And it seems you could defend the claim if they do. I would still write to them and tell them that you have the evidence and will defend vigourously any claims they make for the rent you do not owe and can prove you do not owe.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X