• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour Intimidation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour Intimidation

Hello All, I hope all is well.

I am in a bit of sticky situation and needed some advice.

I have a problem neighbour (council tenant) who has been racially abusive and problematic ever since we moved in our property. He is in his 70's but leaves no chance to intimidate or cause issues. Same is the case with there partner.

We never reported them ever but they did reported us to police and council on numerous occasions. The reason I never reported is that I really believe this guy has mental issues and I work full time mostly travelling across UK and my family and small kids being at home alone mostly.

My neighbour has called police and council on me some 50 times in last 5 years. They both dealt with me professionally and I was never ever convicted / warned of anything, but this alone has caused me lots of mental stress as the gentleman is jobless and has more time than me to do these things. Secondly, I do own my home so I cannot just sell it and move.

Council officers / police visited us again in the beginning of pandemic and advised of our neighbour accusations, now I had the CCTV and showed them the footage again they both apologised and left us. I also discussed my situation with them and they asked me to start keeping diary / report to police and council.

I have shared my diary for last 18 month with council / police and I see this did not made any difference to neighbours behaviour. Council is supportive but usually don't do anything. Lastly, police made a visit to this gentleman and informally warned them but no difference at all.

Now, I am wondering what should be my next steps to control this intimidation from this gentleman. He has lots of time and can make unlimited false complaints. While, I am working hard to support my family and no support whatso ever from council / police.

I would like to know would these complaints and police visits would be problematic for us in the long run.
    How do I stop these visits as this is always no action from them
    Do i have to do anything proactively to protect myself from any legal issues.
    Do you really think I need to call police / council on each instance they mischief

I have now resigned myself to this mental stress as I cannot move out. Most of the neighbours usually leave after 6 months due to same gentleman and he is previously convicted of harassing neighbours.

Some of things that our neighbour does to hassle us,
    Using laser light / flood light to blind us when we are parking our car in driveway
    Always staring at us when we go in and out from our property
    Taking pictures of our visitor cars and leaving notes
    Flipping birdies and making in appropriate gestures
    Thrown rubbish in our driveway

Funny thing is that I have caught them doing this on camera but council suggested I cannot record people in there driveways hence I had been asked to delete the footage. While police on other hand was happy with the CCTV footage

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tags: None

Using laser light to blind us when we are parking our car in driveway.

Report this to police as an assult.

Comment

I would write to this person (not a gentleman!) warning him that if his unacceptable behaviour continues you will initiate court action against him .
      List the actions which are to cease, giving date & time he has acted in this way.
      Remind him he has already been warned by the police about his behaviour.
      You could refer him to the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, which besides making harassment a criminal offence allows for a civil award for damages for (among other things) any anxiety he causes.
      Send the letter first class post, with a free certificate of post from the Post Office.

You could also make a complaint to the senior officer at your local police station.
      Whilst you cannot do anything about his false allegations to the police as they are absolutely privileged, you could remind the police that they could charge him with wasting police time and attempting to pervert the course of justice.
      You of course do not know why they are not offering you the protection you are entitled to, but you could ask them why.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X