• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right of access changing to ownership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right of access changing to ownership

Hi,

My father-in-law has owned his property for 30 years and firmly believed that the narrow strip at the bottom of the garden belonged to the neighbours for access from the road to their property. It now appears that owner before him, gave the neighbours an easement (?) for right of access only. In the intervening years various neighbours have added to this strip, a shed, fence and gate and flowers etc. Has he lost ownership of this strip as the neighbours have had sole access and he has never refused permission for them to make these modifications? Or can he, at this late stage, ask them to vacate his land?
    Tags: None

Hi OTOMYS

I can't answer directly, I'm sure other members will, but here's some info on 'easements' -

https://www.landregistry-titledeeds....hts-of-way.asp

Comment

Hi Echat11

Thank you for the very informative link that certainly cleared up a couple of points around these rights of access and the granting thereof. The question that I still don't have the answer to is: can adverse possession be used, if the person granted the right of access, is the sole and exclusive person exercising that access?

Comment

Might be one for des8

Comment

My understanding is that once a person has use of the land with the agreement of the owner, the user cannot then claim adverse possession.
          In this case the neighbouring land benefits from an easement allowing right of way, so the owner of that neighbouring land cannot claim adverse possession, altho' in Littledale v Liverpool College [1900] 1 Ch 19 it was found that the installation of a locked gate by the beneficiary of an easement did not demonstrate the unequivocal intention to possess that land which is necessary to support a claim to adverse possession.

Are the two properties registered at Land Registry? (check here cost £3 each file & £3 each map https://www.gov.uk/search-property-i...-land-registry)
          If registered do the maps show the correct boundaries?
          If registered do the files record the easement?
          If not what proof is there that the previous owner granted an easement?

If the land does belong to your FiL and neighbours only have an easement, yes your FiL can ask them to vacate it.
          However if he has no proof of the easement, they might successfully claim adverse possession.
          It might just come down to whom the court believes!
          Last edited by des8; 20th September 2021, 19:57:PM.

Comment

Hi Des8,

Thank you for the prompt and comprehensive response. My father in law's property is registered with land registry with the strip of land included in the map. The easement is separate registered document. Forgive me, I'm not a solicitor, but I think that is also with land registry. He has hard copies of both documents.

Comment

In that case I'm fairly sure the neighbours cannot claim adverse possession.
              Have they tried?
              If not your FiL could request politely that they remove their shed, (or pay rent!) if he so wants, and see what the result is.

PS I'm not a solicitor either!

Comment

Separate document ?

is the easement registered on the charges register?..

However applying for adverse possession of registered land is different to gaining it . So no currently he hasn’t lost possession as any claim against registered land can be thwarted by a simple objection .

The neighbour needs to be told remove the items.

There is however a possibility they have increased their easement rights but that is for another day if it rears it’s head.
                Last edited by Ukmicky; 26th September 2021, 17:05:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X