• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Question for the team.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the team.

Hi, I am new to this forum so first of hello to everyone!
    The situation I have is regarding my mother, who was caring for my grandmother at her home from February 2020 until she died in July 2021.

My mother herself is disabled and receives housing benefit for the property she rents, but had to go and look after my grandmother after she became frail and had an onset of dementia.

My nan also had carers come in from the council, but this was not enough and my mum took over some of her care.

Around the end of May 2021 my mum also started receiving some care from the same council carers, but was not officially living there.

My grandmother died at the start of July 2021 and due to my mothers disabilities it took her a long time to sort out funeral arrangements and close contracts.

There was initially some ambiguity as to if she would remain at the property and possibly take over my grandmothers tenancy, however she made her wish to come back to her home.

However she is being chased by utilities, council tax and rent for the period between July 5th and present.

What is the situation here?

For some reason the council tax bill is in her name, despite there being no tenancy agreement, and her not being registered at that address.

I assumed that because there is no tenancy agreement and she has not signed anything that she is not liable for any rent and it is their duty to serve her notice. Is this correct?

I also assumed that all utilities are in my grandmothers name and would come from her estate or nothing, and not my mothers responsibility.

The intention was for her to return to her home and cut all ties with the property her mother rented, with all debts being written off. Is this the likely outcome or is there any legal obligation for my mother to pay for anything?

Please note I am not disputing anything as such yet, I just made some assumptions and would like to be corrected if wrong.

Please also ask if you need more information .

Kind regards,

Tags: None

Hi Underling68

Sorry for your loss.

You need to find out who the service providers were and inform them that your grandmother passed away in July.
    They should be able to backdate any billing. It should be straightforward.

Here's some information - https://death-duties.co.uk/utilities...notifications/

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi Underling68

Sorry for your loss.

You need to find out who the service providers were and inform them that your grandmother passed away in July.
      They should be able to backdate any billing. It should be straightforward.

Here's some information - https://death-duties.co.uk/utilities...notifications/
      Thanks. The utilities have been informed as we did a 'tell us once' service, but they are still sending them. My mother has remained in the property from early July until now but they are still not cut off.

Comment

Send a Letter of Complaint, mark it as such, address it to the CEO, explain that you've informed them of your grandmother's passing, despite this they have failed to close the account. Explain that if they don't back date and close the account, you will lodge a complaint with the Services Ombudsman. (If your mother has been using the utilities and depending on when they were informed of your grandmother's passing, they my well charge).

Comment

Originally posted by Underlying68 View Post

Thanks. The utilities have been informed as we did a 'tell us once' service, but they are still sending them. My mother has remained in the property from early July until now but they are still not cut off.
          My mother has just informed me that tell us once service did not inform the utilities.

My mother has mental disabilities that whilst do not affect her sentience affect her ability to perform tasks such as this.

As such they have been left since my grandmother died (unbeknown to myself).

She is planning to leave the property next week, and she is now giving me the account number and details to contact them.

What is the best thing for me to say and course of action to take here?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
            Send a Letter of Complaint, mark it as such, address it to the CEO, explain that you've informed them of your grandmother's passing, despite this they have failed to close the account. Explain that if they don't back date and close the account, you will lodge a complaint with the Services Ombudsman. (If your mother has been using the utilities and depending on when they were informed of your grandmother's passing, they my well charge).
            My mother has just informed me that tell us once service did not inform the utilities.

My mother has mental disabilities that whilst do not affect her sentience affect her ability to perform tasks such as this.

As such they have been left since my grandmother died (unbeknown to myself).

She is planning to leave the property next week, and she is now giving me the account number and details to contact them.

What is the best thing for me to say and course of action to take here?

Thanks,

Comment

The Tell Us Once service only works with government managed systems like tax.

If you know your mothers definitive departure date, use that to arrange final billing with the relevant utility companies; who presumably are still unaware of your grandmothers passing?

Where is your mother going to live?
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I would go onto the utility companies website, email customer service, explain the situation, that your grandmother passed away, that the account needs to be closed. Explain that you're mother has had to 'mind' the property since your grandmother passing. See if they can back date the bill to July.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                  The Tell Us Once service only works with government managed systems like tax.

If you know your mothers definitive departure date, use that to arrange final billing with the relevant utility companies; who presumably are still unaware of your grandmothers passing?

Where is your mother going to live?
                  She will live at her registered address where she pays rent and gets housing benefit. She has been paying the rent all the time, and it was never intended for my nans to be a registered address but because the carers are with the council they seem to have put her name down on some of the bills/council tax.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X